Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
uncle dad
mixed by charles powell

.mp3    uncle dad mixed by charles powell.mp3 --  (Download: 4.32 MB)

Thanks of listening my mix!

Here's some quick comments for your mix. Many issues are just personal taste.

I like the smooth vocal sound.

Overall sound of the band is slightly too edgy for so smooth vocal vocal.

The culprit for harshness is probably acoustic guitar. It's maybe too dominant and too strong around 3 k area. If you could find own frequency areas for snare and acoustic guitar, that would give more dimension to mix.

As the drummer is using the side stick/crosstik with snare, I think that should be made audible. It creates a specific relaxed tone for the band.

The balance between bass and kick could be more "country" so that kick only enhances the bass. No it overpowers the bass. I would turn up just a little bit the bass and little bit down the kick.
(08-10-2013, 10:46 PM)[email protected] Wrote: mixed by charles powell

This is the best mix I've heard of this song so far! Well done, Charles! Big Grin

My only complaints:

Little too much reverb; dial it down a notch or two. Smile

Stereo image could be wider; try panning the individual instruments tracks wider. Picture the performers spread out on a stage and try to get them into the same positions in your recording as they are in your mind. Wink

Sounds a wee bit harsh overall; if you have any high frequency boost in the 6000+ Hz range I'd dial that back. In fact, I would minimize use of EQ as much as possible on these tracks. They were Telefunken mic demos originally and need very little help from EQ IMHO. Wink

Related to that, maybe a SMALL EQ boost at 80 Hz for the kick drum and somewhere in the 100-300 Hz range on the bass might give them a little more presence. Don't go nuts; a subtle boost of three dB might be enough. Play with it 'til you get a sound you like.

Guitar's a little harsh, too. Maybe try no EQ at all or, if they need to carry a little more out of the mix, try a subtle cut of three to five dB around 300 Hz and a subtle three to five boost around 5000 Hz; if it's not too heavy handed that should give it enough clarity to punch through without sounding brassy. Again, play with it 'til you get a sound you like. Smile

Other than that, though, excellent work! Love it! Cool
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince