Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enter the Haggis- 2 Bare Hands
Cool tune, I like the driving force of the guitar and drums and also the low frequency of the bass.

I decided not to use reverb on the vocals as I wanted to go for a more modern twist on the U2 sound here...but perhaps that makes the vocal a little disconnected from the rest of the instruments?

(I hate how converting to MP3 takes so much atmosphere away from the WAV Angry )

Oh well, here goes nothing Big Grin

.mp3    Enter the Haggis- 2 Bare hands.3 (online-audio-converter.com).mp3 --  (Download: 2.97 MB)

(03-05-2019, 12:57 PM)wehale Wrote: Cool tune, I like the driving force of the guitar and drums and also the low frequency of the bass.

I decided not to use reverb on the vocals as I wanted to go for a more modern twist on the U2 sound here...but perhaps that makes the vocal a little disconnected from the rest of the instruments?

(I hate how converting to MP3 takes so much atmosphere away from the WAV Angry )

Oh well, here goes nothing Big Grin

Hey I’ve been listening to your mix - really good effort! I don’t think you are that far off with this mix at all. I too felt this track had a bit of a U2 live vibe.

This is a great track, but really difficult to mix I think. I don’t know what you make of my latest revision of this one so I guess take my comments in context with that.

I’ve listened through your mix a few times on the monitors. I think you’ve done a great job with eq and panning, but I feel the mix balance is off volume wise. Your mix seems to work better in some sections than others. Certainly I feel the vocal is a touch too upfront. Also the guitar riff that comes in around the 1:35 mark is a touch loud too perhaps, and could be tucked in with some level automation?

I don’t think the lack of reverb on the vocal is necessarily the issue. I think you can bring the level of the vocal down a bit, and raise the level of the guitars up more toward the vocal. I think the kick, bass and snare could also come up a touch too. You might be able to add a bit more snap to the snare and kick with some 1176 style compression too?

I found getting the balance right with respect to the arrangement was a big part of this. I started to balance with just the kick, snare and vocal. If it helps any, I think the kick and snare are by far the loudest things in my mix, and are hitting around -10dB. The guitars + vocal are hitting around -18dB. Referencing commercial tracks also helps. It’s tricky though, some tracks have the vocal way up front, others the drums, etc. I found when balancing there was a definite point where everything seemed to click in to focus.

I had a separate send where I parallel compressed the vocal, and tucked it under the main vocal to help it sit in the mix. I also had slap delay and some widening on sends tucked under the vocal also to give a bit of presence boost. The idea was that they are there but hopefully they blend in with the vocal so you don’t hear it. I’ve recently discovered that tape style delays work really well for addning a bit of vocal ’slap’ ambience too.

Ok, I am obviously far from an expert. I learned a great deal through mixing this track (all my mixes on here prior to attempting this one really really suck). I was lucky to get some really great comments that really helped me to progress a lot, and has changed the way I hear and think about things.

Anyway I hope you find this feedback somewhat helpful and encouraging, and good luck!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!