Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Everybody's Falling Apart
Thanks for the listen and any input Smile

.mp3    Everybodys Falling Apart.mp3 --  (Download: 8.56 MB)

.mp3    Everybodys Falling Apart Final.mp3 --  (Download: 8.56 MB)

To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Sounds good ! Great kick, bass could be bit louder and deeper (did you make a midifile to fill out the lowend ? It really helps)
I think the electric gtrs are a bit too tamed and the acoustic a little too helped, meanin the first could be given little more highs and/or loudness, and the acoustic down a tad.

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Thanks for the suggestions. Here it is with a little more eq work on the bass and electric guitars.

.mp3    Everybodys Falling Apart 2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.56 MB)

The balance in mix 2 is better Bob !
The kick beater on the kick in track could cut through more the give the kick more punch !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thanks Don. Yes, I agree about the kick. I went back and looked at it. I had to emphasize a different frequency than usual to get more of the beater. Here it is. Thanks again for your time.

.mp3    Everybodys Falling Apart 3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.56 MB)

This mix is pretty tough to pin down... I've been trying on and off for months to figure it out. The kick is still pretty absent in version 3, but given how much effort you've put into it, my thinking is that the sample they used (this is a simulated kit I think) is lousy and no fault of yours. What DAW are you using? Some of them have really good facility for automatically replacing audio files with single note midi files, so you could probably find a more suitable kick drum sample and trigger it with midi like niells suggested. If you're using reaper I could easily explain to you how to do it using the supplied plugins, but I'm not sure with other DAWs. I was using Sonar Home Studio 7 for the longest time, but it's really limited in terms of routing and what you're able to do without wasting time programming the kick drum parts from scratch. We have kids, so we haven't got the time Big Grin.

Another suggestion is to consider finding the main frequencies of the vocal part and giving them a slight broadband boost. Then you can invert the EQ, bypass it on the vocal track, and copy the new settings in some of the guitar parts into a separate instance of EQ at the end of the FX chain. That help with some of the small masking issues I'm hearing, which could be the result of tonal changes introduced by the processing that follow your first instance of EQ used for cleanup.

Great work, and I really respect your continued efforts to improve your mixes based on the excellent suggestions you get from more experienced mixers Big Grin. That kinda stuff is hard when you have a family who needs your time... I have a 2 year old and a 5 year old, so finding the time to mix at all is a burden.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
I think the bass is the problem here you could try taking all the highs out of the bass to about 6 k and then I think you will find
the vocals will hit you in the face more.Also try sidechaning the bass and kick as that kick is struggling a bit and you have a bit
of mud in the middle that could do with clearing out a bit.
As already suggested replacing the kick is the way to go ,When I mixed this I didn't know how to replace drums and spent a huge amount of time experimenting to get the kick sound i wanted, not having a clue what I am doing , done some serious cutting between 98hz and 2.4k using multiband compression and eq in the kick out, and with the kick in cut everything below 2.1k using multiband compression and eq and used harmonic exciter get the kick beater to cut through !
Agree with Alan ,I used only the DI Bass and eqed down the around the 4-6 k area Big Grin !

Thanks for the input guys. Here it is with an attempt to add more definition to the kick, taking out the bass cabinet and brightening up the vocals a bit.

.mp3    Everybodys Falling Apart 4.mp3 --  (Download: 8.56 MB)

The bass and kick sounds much better Bob
Like to hear a touch more top end on and maybe a less 220 hz on the snare but maybe my room Big Grin !