Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raft Monk - Tiring [Light Shard Mixdown]
First up, absolutely awesome production! The recordings sounded really well done! Also sounded like some sounds already had some compression/EQ on the way in, but of course I could be completely wrong.

I had a lot of fun mixing this today! I tried challenging myself by using only Reaper and a free channel strip from DeadDuck as my main tools. I used Valhalla Room and a melda plugin as well, but those were mainly for space and depth.

Thanks for taking some time to listen to it Smile
Any feedback is warmly welcomed! Big Grin

.mp3    RaftMonk - Tiring V1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.85 MB)

Hmm, some self feedback after listening to some other mixes and reference tracks (I didn't reference whilst mixing [a rookie mistake])
• The bassline sounds kind of muddy in the 300hz area, might be a result of lowpassing the bass guitar.
• the vocals are pushed a little too far back either just in EQ in the 1-4KHz area, OR just in volume itself.
• the super stereo instruments are clashing quite a bit, I think this might be due to masking.
• In the last chorus the vocals (upper backing vocals) are a tad too wide and causes the mix to flatten as a result.

Overall I'm happy with what I got done today, it was good practice and I think the free plugin from Dead Duck (DD Channel) is definitely worth recommending to beginners/enthusiasts, before having them spend all that money on more expensive stuff like Waves/Softube/Soundtoys/other analog modeling plugins. It sadly doesn't have any modeling saturation either, so it sounds very transparent and digital. Though I used TDR SlickEQ's saturation settings to help add some depth and, well, saturation.
I gave mixing this another shot today Smile

I think it came out much more clear and clean.

Method:
• Get it sounding as good as possible using nothing but volume.
• EQ and mixbus compress on the master for glue and subtle enhancement.
• Some more subtle volume tweaks.
• Add saturation to parts that need thickening/depth.
• EQ and Compress individual channels (highpassing, mostly focusing on subtractive eq).
• Reverb/Effects for the vocals.

Slight limiting and soft clipping at the end for glue and making it a listen able volume.
DONE!

.mp3    RaftMonk - Tiring [Light Shard Mixing Practice V2].mp3 --  (Download: 7.78 MB)