Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chad's Eyes - New Mixes
There were a ton of issues to consider with the tracks provided. Lots of bleed in a lot of sources and what was the main hook of the song to extract from that semi-quagmire.

For me it was the bounce established by the Acoustic, Electric and the Mando. Once I established that direction, the horns and the bass and drums were easier to fit in that context.

I think this mix will be either an acquired taste or a yuck, spit it out kinda thing.

This ensemble did not project a highly produced studio vibe for me, but more of a live, get it right in the moment vibe. I'm not sure I achieved anything close to that but hey, it is what it be. I hope someone enjoys it or will at least take the time to explain why they hate it.

Chad's Eyes - Mix 2

More automation and some tonal rebalancing to add excitement to the mix plus added reverb to give a better sense of place.

Chad's Eyes - Mix 4

Same automation and balance but with the acoustic guitar moved to the center and the electric widened to fill the space. The horns were also spread more across the stereo field with some phase trickery.

Thanks for your ears,
mITc

.mp3    Eyes.mp3 --  (Download: 10.55 MB)

.mp3    Chads Eyes - Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.58 MB)

.mp3    Chads Eyes - Mix 4.mp3 --  (Download: 10.58 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hey there,

to be honest I was kind of unsure of what to make of this mix, but after a second a listen I like it.

The overall frequency balance of the whole mix and individual instruments is great.

I do however think that the bass is a bit loud, while the Drums are a bit lost in the fuller sections. I know that you built your mix around the electric, mando and acoustic, but they could be pushed back into the ensemble a tiny bit. The percussion sits well.

I like the vocal tone, although it is sibilant and harsh at times. Also, it pokes out a bit in regards to dynamics. (1:30)

Overall I think you did quite well, just a bit of volume balancing and you are there. (in my opinion)

Cheers,
LukasAngel
Hi againSmile
Love the balance and midrange energy.
Great separation but without loosing the body and cohesion.
Personally i would add bit more reverb to the track to help the instruments blend better with each other(However they've still already done great job) and bring up the kick little bit more.
Cheers!!!
(11-05-2019, 04:48 PM)Davie.T Wrote: Hi againSmile
Love the balance and midrange energy.
Great separation but without loosing the body and cohesion.
Personally i would add bit more reverb to the track to help the instruments blend better with each other(However they've still already done great job) and bring up the kick little bit more.
Cheers!!!

Dave,
Thanks for your input. I made changes to the second mix here which includes more reverb to give everything a better sense of place. So, great advice.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I like this mix a lot Mitc. Great balance and tonal clarity. Very slick indeed.

Just a couple of things that came to mind whist listening. Ist the acoustic guitar in the left ear, although sounds nice, feels a bit detached from the the performance with it's hard panning. May work better if moved in onto the stage a little more. The other thoughts I had was with the solos. I think the mando could be brightened up a tad, sounding a touch mallow for my ears and the electric guitar feels somewhat distant and behind the stage. Not sure if thats something that can be altered for if it's printed into the raw track.

These are just minor things for me though. An enjoyable listen regardless. Well done.
(06-06-2019, 11:38 AM)Dangerous Wrote: I like this mix a lot Mitc. Great balance and tonal clarity. Very slick indeed.

Just a couple of things that came to mind whist listening. Ist the acoustic guitar in the left ear, although sounds nice, feels a bit detached from the the performance with it's hard panning. May work better if moved in onto the stage a little more. The other thoughts I had was with the solos. I think the mando could be brightened up a tad, sounding a touch mallow for my ears and the electric guitar feels somewhat distant and behind the stage. Not sure if thats something that can be altered for if it's printed into the raw track.

These are just minor things for me though. An enjoyable listen regardless. Well done.

Dave,
Some good points you have raised. After a detached listen I also felt that the acoustic could be centered and the electric widened to fill the space, which is precisely what I did in Mix 4. My thinking was more along the lines that the singer is also the acoustic player so I thought his entire performance might work better centered, including his guitar. I think both work. I like the panned guitars as they sound good with the bounce of the song. Take a listen to Mix 3 and let me know what you think of the panning you suggested. BTW the mando is really dark and I have brightened up more than I would ever imagine doing. I do like the body of it.

Thanks for the listen.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(06-06-2019, 04:11 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Dave,
Some good points you have raised. After a detached listen I also felt that the acoustic could be centered and the electric widened to fill the space, which is precisely what I did in Mix 3. My thinking was more along the lines that the singer is also the acoustic player so I thought his entire performance might work better centered, including his guitar. I think both work. I like the panned guitars as they sound good with the bounce of the song. Take a listen to Mix 3 and let me know what you think of the panning you suggested. BTW the mando is really dark and I have brightened up more than I would ever imagine doing. I do like the body of it.

Thanks for the listen.

Mix 4 certainly paints a different picture and is probably more in line with a live centred performance. I definitely feel this listening with headphones on, but I also feel it's come at a cost of the clarity that you achieved with mix2. That lovely acoustic strumming sound has become lost and also for me, interestingly the bass guitar has tonally lost it's edge and it's dominant centred space which actually when comparing the 2 mixes was quite a feature of the first.
I guess all things are trade offs and be mindful that I make these comments with headphones on and not with spaced listening. With fresh "day after" ears Mitc, what are your thoughts?

(07-06-2019, 12:12 PM)Dangerous Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 04:11 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Dave,
Some good points you have raised. After a detached listen I also felt that the acoustic could be centered and the electric widened to fill the space, which is precisely what I did in Mix 3. My thinking was more along the lines that the singer is also the acoustic player so I thought his entire performance might work better centered, including his guitar. I think both work. I like the panned guitars as they sound good with the bounce of the song. Take a listen to Mix 3 and let me know what you think of the panning you suggested. BTW the mando is really dark and I have brightened up more than I would ever imagine doing. I do like the body of it.

Thanks for the listen.

Mix 4 certainly paints a different picture and is probably more in line with a live centred performance. I definitely feel this listening with headphones on, but I also feel it's come at a cost of the clarity that you achieved with mix2. That lovely acoustic strumming sound has become lost and also for me, interestingly the bass guitar has tonally lost it's edge and it's dominant centred space which actually when comparing the 2 mixes was quite a feature of the first.
I guess all things are trade offs and be mindful that I make these comments with headphones on and not with spaced listening. With fresh "day after" ears Mitc, what are your thoughts?

Dave,
Right you are. Centering the acoustic definitely reduces its definition. I believe that is why I panned it to the opposite side of the electric in my first mixes. As for the bass, there is a lack of sustain in the low mids on the instrument which leaves a hole in the punch and groove of the song and in mix 4 I tried to fill it with a narrow stereo flange. While it adds movement it did not really help with definition. I'd have to say Mix 2 is still my favorite.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]