Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cotton Drifting -- Rainy Days 2
Wow!

First of all thanks for submitting a mix and I'm glad to hear you like the song.

Second; Jesus this must have taken you a while! It caught me very off guard, your edited arrangement had many surprises in wait. The drums exploding in the first part... Damn that was intense. I like how you muted the kick drum in the build up in the second part. I love how the acoustic guitar sounds, what did you do to it? Hell, I almost even like how my voice sounds... Almost. Also, did you add bass to it in certain parts? Or is there something like a bass extender or whatever it's called?

My main criticism would be that there is too much reverb for my taste. I generally like relatively dry sounds or short, powerful room ambience like the hall mics I recorded for this song. There are times I like real spacey reverb but this song is not one of them. I liked the delayed reverb or gated or whatever it is on the yell though, that was pretty cool. I think my other criticism is the drum sound; it feels a little too mid-heavy, like 1000hz or something, and too loud overall. I'm still not sure how appropriate it is for me to criticize mixes of my own song since I'm biased, but here it is anyway :]. Maybe someone else will chime in with a less tainted opinion.

Overall man, this is a super interesting take on the song. I haven't listened to GodspeedYouBE so I might have to check them out sometime. I don't usually listen to purely instrumental music but I like Explosions in the Sky so who knows.

Messages In This Thread
Cotton Drifting -- Rainy Days 2 - by James Cullis - 22-04-2019, 01:51 AM
RE: Cotton Drifting -- Rainy Days 2 - by GinghamJones - 22-04-2019, 04:05 AM