Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
FytaKyte: 'Bitter'
I think I'm pretty happy with this. I really struggled with referencing and direction with this track. Lots of old school feel but with a modern twist and a unique flavour. Overall, I tried to keep it fairly loud and up front. I may have pushed some of my parallel compression a little hard as it is evident at times throughout the mix. Oh well.
A super track, well recorded and written. There are some clever people out in this world thats for sure. This was a lot of fun to play with and a joy to mix.

Thanks for listening, comments and directions welcome.

Dave

Update 27-04-19 Mix#2 added.

I have made some adjustments based on comments posted. I have tried to maintain my "pushed" sound without it sounding so strained. Bass compressor has been given some extra attack and I have automated the parallel compression track around the movement of the song. There are some other minor tweaks and automation moves to also help with movement, plus a slight alteration to the intro. All for the good of music.Big Grin

Update 05-05-2019 Mix#3 added

Probably my final attempt at this one. Some extra sweetening here and there. I have also wound back the intensity with the master bus processing. The mix for me was starting to sound a bit too pushed. Hopefully the pumping has disappeared also.Big Grin

.mp3    FytaKyte_Bitter_Dangerous#1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.57 MB)

.mp3    FytaKyte_Bitter_Dangerous#2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.66 MB)

.mp3    FytaKyte_Bitter_Dangerous#3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.69 MB)

Excellent mix, it feels energetic and balanced, just the way it should be.

Some issues that came to my mind:

- Bass has some hollowness. It lacks the attack or bite. I wonder if you have taken out transients too much.

- Transition to chorus could be a bigger. (0:50) now the energy level between verse and chorus is quite same. It could be just 1 db boost at master channell to make it more prominent. Or some other small energy boost trick.

Cool! I was really looking forward to hearing your take on it, Dave... This is sounding great! I especially love what you did in the bridge - those delays add some real energy there. I love all the tones you've achieved - everything sits really nicely together, and the ambience and depth are subtle and tasteful. The low end is full and rock solid.

A couple of tweaks that I would suggest:
- The tambo is a bit too loud for me.
- The parallel compression comes off as a little too unsubtle at times. I particularly notice it "flexing/pumping" in the background of of the soundstage during the verses. I think the sort of sonic "density" it supplies is better suited to the more intense moments of the song - like during the choruses and bridge. I would suggest maybe automating the level of the parallel comp so that the verses "open up" more... Then ramp it back up for the choruses.

Always great to hear your work, Sir!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Dave strikes again!very good mix but as you are already aware of you have pushed it abit,nice delays,very good mix.
Reaper user
Really cool bass guitar treatment although it seems cause some minor compressor breathing at times. Love the door close at the end. Big Grin
I did miss the Rhodes and the acoustic. I know it's tough to find space for all of that. What you did use sounds very good.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(20-04-2019, 07:18 PM)Olli H Wrote: Excellent mix, it feels energetic and balanced, just the way it should be.

Some issues that came to my mind:

- Bass has some hollowness. It lacks the attack or bite. I wonder if you have taken out transients too much.

- Transition to chorus could be a bigger. (0:50) now the energy level between verse and chorus is quite same. It could be just 1 db boost at master channell to make it more prominent. Or some other small energy boost trick.

Thank you Olli,

I have made some changes, hopefully enough. Good pickup with the bass, I had my attack setting set @ zero. Not too sure why.Huh but hopefully sorted.

Thanks again.
(21-04-2019, 12:01 AM)FytaKyte Wrote: Cool! I was really looking forward to hearing your take on it, Dave... This is sounding great! I especially love what you did in the bridge - those delays add some real energy there. I love all the tones you've achieved - everything sits really nicely together, and the ambience and depth are subtle and tasteful. The low end is full and rock solid.

A couple of tweaks that I would suggest:
- The tambo is a bit too loud for me.
- The parallel compression comes off as a little too unsubtle at times. I particularly notice it "flexing/pumping" in the background of of the soundstage during the verses. I think the sort of sonic "density" it supplies is better suited to the more intense moments of the song - like during the choruses and bridge. I would suggest maybe automating the level of the parallel comp so that the verses "open up" more... Then ramp it back up for the choruses.

Always great to hear your work, Sir!

Thanks Andrew,

You have put in a super effort with all your detailed reviews.Big Grin
I've made some changes to my parallel comp channel. Who would have thought to automate that channel? Obviously not me. That's brilliant! I like how you think.
Hopefully my second pass is an improvement.

Thank YOU Sir.
(21-04-2019, 09:47 AM)Cudjoe Wrote: Dave strikes again!very good mix but as you are already aware of you have pushed it abit,nice delays,very good mix.

Thanks Cudjoe, Always look forward to your comments. I'm a little out of practice and yes it's a bit pushed but close to the sound I'm after. A few tweaks here and there and maybe......

Cheers
(21-04-2019, 07:13 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Really cool bass guitar treatment although it seems cause some minor compressor breathing at times. Love the door close at the end. Big Grin
I did miss the Rhodes and the acoustic. I know it's tough to find space for all of that. What you did use sounds very good.

Thanks for taking a listen Mitc.

Thanks for reinforcing the bass issues. Careless preset compressor settings that hopefully I've sorted now.

I really tried to make the Rhodes and acoustic work but they failed to hold up with the density of the mix. In saying that, they are still playing a reinforcing roll which become quite noticeable when they are muted. Still, it would have been nice to have them more featured for sure.

As for the Door. A completely pointless additive at the end that I felt needed to be there. I guess I liked the unedited loose ending and it was a way to close it off.

Cheers
Hey Dave, love the new guitar intro - very nice!

This is a really great, energetic mix. What I like about it is that you've given the song a real "gutsy" feel. I especially like how powerful and raw the drums sound. Diggin' the new bass sound too.

For what it's worth, I still think the tambo is too loud, notwithstanding the energy it brings to the chorus... and I'm still hearing the sort of "pumping" sound that I mentioned originally, but they're both not vibe-killers for me.

Cool!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases