Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
Bitter - Olli H
Pleasure to mix. Good recording, good song, good performance.

I like the groove created by that bass, so I gave it quite prominent role. I also used mute-button to give more variation to arrangement.

.mp3    Fytakyte-Bitter-2019-04-18-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 8.6 MB)

Hi Olli,

It's a really nice mix, really open and wide! I love the Drums, they jump directly in your face when they come in Big Grin The Bass sound is also really nice and consistend. I just miss the presence of the guitars and especially all the backing vocals during the chorus.

How did you get the open and wide sound? Is it because of mixing on good studio monitors (Genelecs have a high-resolution in the high frequencies) or is there another trick? Moreover, how did you EQ the vocals to remove the low-mid mud without making them toppy?

Cheers,
music_nino
I’m glad you liked my mix

(18-04-2019, 09:47 AM)music_nino Wrote: How did you get the open and wide sound? Is it because of mixing on good studio monitors (Genelecs have a high-resolution in the high frequencies) or is there another trick?

I mainly mix with headphones (HD600), but I do some checkings with Genelecs. But it seems to be happy situation as my mixing decisions are about the same in both listening modes.

When I try to add wideness, there’s no single trick in my mixing. First of all, I try to make it so the important instruments are not masked by anything. Then I try to find frequencywise matching pairs (hi-hat on the right => shaker to the left etc).
There were doble guitars, I didn’t pan them left-right, as they begun to sound like one big guitar together. Instead I panned one double gtr to left, and another to the right, so now I have two different sounding guitars in opposite positions.
I used very sparingly reverbs as, I think, they tend to glue the widness away. I use more delays. But for example with drums there’s probably too much delays now, but I happend to be on that mood yesterday.
I run widely panned guitars and keyboards through parallel compression.

(18-04-2019, 09:47 AM)music_nino Wrote: Moreover, how did you EQ the vocals to remove the low-mid mud without making them toppy?

Actually I didn’t care about it so much. I just have a static eq at 297 hz, 707 hx and 1414 hz with sharp cuts about 4db. After that I added some brightness to vox with other eqs. There are still some words were the room is humming, but it bothers me only in solo-listening, so I didn’t try to fix all.

During mixing I tend to focus more on things I want to hear. I’ve noticed that too much fixing kills also the good sounds, at leas in my head. I've noticed that if I spent 5 minutes to fixing bad things, my ears get bored, and after that it's difficult to find those small important things to enhance - the big fixer within me starts to dominate the small mixer within me.
sounds great! maybe try to bury your snare sample in the mix a bit more? nice edit for the second verse. something fishy with the toms? solo part sounds great. good work. ^_^
Hi Olli - Fabulous mix! Probably one of the best overall mixes I've heard. Really intelligent, thoughtful and tasteful arrangement of the available parts; Great sounds, use of space and depth.

I really enjoyed the way you saturated the lead vocal - it gave it a nice sense of weight, up-frontness, energy and attitude without ever making it seem too big for the musical backing. The drums sound super-fat and full without being muddy at all. The guitar sounds aren't all to my personal taste, but they make sense and complement the overall sound of the mix perfectly. Love, love LOVE the big fat bass sound - very nice!

About the only tiny thing I noticed was a little bit of lisping on some (but not all) of the "s" sounds. That said, I'm being super-picky, because I've heard similar over-de-essing (or should I say "inconsistent de-essing") on big-budget commercial releases.

Thanks for sharing - Excellent work!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Sweet sweet music! Super effort Olli. Love the openness and effortless musical flow you have achieved. Also like the pushed keys and general arrangement. If I had one issue, it would be that some of the backing vocals sound a little quiet and almost forgotten about, although I'm sure you didn't forget them.
A really enjoyable listen Olli. Thank you.
Thanks for comments, all!

(19-04-2019, 01:00 PM)Dangerous Wrote: If I had one issue, it would be that some of the backing vocals sound a little quiet and almost forgotten about, although I'm sure you didn't forget them.

Actually, I forgot them completely. i was quite busy. Now all the bgs go to one buss. No automation or plugins on individual track. I balanced the first instance of bgs to music, and decided to revisit them later, which never happened.