Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
My Humble Hammer Try
Hello everybody!

I'm super excited to have found this platform and I think it's super awesome that you submit your multitracks für some nice mix training!

I really liked the whole song, and I'm pretty sure, I'll give the other ones a shot too!
The only instrument that in my opinion needed some sound adjustment besides basic EQ was the Kick, but that's totally up for debate!
In the end, I took "Megadeth - Dystopia" as a reference, but after comparing the two songs for a while, I started to doubt the mixing style of that track. The amount of compression and limiting on all was really too much for my taste. I was however also comparing Dystopia to my mix via EQ matching in Ozone and was surprised to see the amount of high mids and highs in that mix. Might also be the compression, but I don't really know. Maybe somebody of you can elaborate!

Also I think, I might have a masking problem... can somebody confirm that? I think, I could improve on transparency.

Anyways, please shred my mix to pieces and tell me everything that you don't like! Now that I'm listening to it, I think the bass might have a little too much presence. Thats probably the bass player in me, who I first and foremost am Cool

.mp3    Mix1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.12 MB)

check this thread for more info about the ref track Smile

http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...?tid=18653
(22-04-2017, 10:52 PM)Philament Wrote: Hello everybody!

I'm super excited to have found this platform and I think it's super awesome that you submit your multitracks für some nice mix training!

I really liked the whole song, and I'm pretty sure, I'll give the other ones a shot too!
The only instrument that in my opinion needed some sound adjustment besides basic EQ was the Kick, but that's totally up for debate!
In the end, I took "Megadeth - Dystopia" as a reference, but after comparing the two songs for a while, I started to doubt the mixing style of that track. The amount of compression and limiting on all was really too much for my taste. I was however also comparing Dystopia to my mix via EQ matching in Ozone and was surprised to see the amount of high mids and highs in that mix. Might also be the compression, but I don't really know. Maybe somebody of you can elaborate!

Also I think, I might have a masking problem... can somebody confirm that? I think, I could improve on transparency.

Anyways, please shred my mix to pieces and tell me everything that you don't like! Now that I'm listening to it, I think the bass might have a little too much presence. Thats probably the bass player in me, who I first and foremost am Cool

At a first listen I find your mix sounds a bit dull and two dimensional. However, there is nothing hurting or disturbing my ears. I also found it very difficult to create depth for the snare without sounding too fake (I mean also in my mix) as a lot of the rooms and halls just gets masked away. Might also have to do that it is not a real drum set and one has to create all the depth and crosstalk (say on the OVH) artificially. The bass guitar is a bit prominent although I really like the tone of the bass. The distorted vocals in the pre chorus is a bit low to me. Vibe is already there.

I think you can improve your mix with more clarity (eq), more depth and subtle space with a bunch different reverbs and delays. Mixing part by part and bringing out the most from every part as it is an own single mix. Carefully with compressing on the mix-buss, I think the best in this case to get more clarity is no compressing at all, not knowing if you use compressing in the mix-buss.

Hope it helps...

Cheers,
Andy

(23-04-2017, 12:36 PM)AndyGallas Wrote: At a first listen I find your mix sounds a bit dull ...

Hey Andy, thanks for the tips!
Now that you say those points, I totally see what you mean! What you write really shows me the importance of a good listening environment. Right now, I mix on some open back headphones, as my current situation doesn't allow a good room with acoustic treatment and good monitors. I guess I can hear the single parts already pretty good, but the context in a room probably changes the context drastically.

Although that's not perfect yet, I still got plenty out of this mix! Diving deeper into my plugins, seeing what was recorded and how... very valuable!

So big thanks!
Hello there! I´ll leave you with an idea, as you mix on headphones, one thing I tend to think is that on headphones you should really perceive the spaciality, the FX, the reverberances of every instrument, the distances, etc, more than listening on your monitors. I don´t know if it is a safe thought, but it may help you make a step forward on that matter. Hope it helps!
(26-04-2017, 05:35 AM)matiasgodoy399 Wrote: Hello there! I´ll leave you with an idea, as you mix on headphones, one thing I tend to think is that on headphones you should really perceive the spaciality, the FX, the reverberances of every instrument, the distances, etc, more than listening on your monitors. I don´t know if it is a safe thought, but it may help you make a step forward on that matter. Hope it helps!

Hey Matias!

Thanks for your input. I did some research on this matter and the issues are that you have a so called crosstalk, meaning that you still hear the left channel speaker on both of your ears, instead of just the left ear when using headphones.
On top of that, you will have trouble judging especially the low-end, because there is no room that would react to it.
Since I don't have another option than using headphones right now, I'm experimenting with Toneboosters Morphit and Isone plugins, the first of which tries to create a flat response on your headphone and the second emulating crosstalk and room. Just by a little testing, I had great results in finding the problematic areas in my mix. It will probably still not be the same as having speakers and a room, but it's an improvement.
Yes, definitely not having the oportunity to listen with studio monitors is a pain back there. Another tip is to have always a couple referencing tracks and to go back to them constantly, especially when mixing low end and stereo field.
Hey I just listened through your mix, and it's not bad at all! Here are some things to help you out:

- Snare was a bit upfront. It was also a bit raw and dry. Could use more verb/tail
- Bass was a bit loud for my taste.
- You mention there might be masking, but I do not really hear too much of that. Guitars might be too scooped though.
- I like what you did with the guitar solo, but maybe bring it up just a bit more?

Other than that, sounds good!

- Nick