Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FytaKyte "Bitter"
I brought the Hammond organ forward a bit. Comments are appreciated.

.mp3    FytaKyte_Bitter_Mix1_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 7.43 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
Hey Dave, I quite like your approach to the overall instrumental balances here - featuring the hammond a little more works well. The levels and frequency balance across the spectrum are good too. The tambourine moves the choruses along nicely, and I like the placement of the shaker too.

The drums are nicely controlled and have some good punch to the low end, however for my taste, there is too much bottom snare mic - IMO it tends to make the snare sound a little bit rattly and lacking in real gutsiness. Another thing that seems a little too loud for this genre is the beater click of the kick drum. The inside kick mic really emphasised that, so turning that down a little may help.

Probably the thing that needs the most attention is the lead vocal. The lead vocal is at a pretty good level, but it sounds a little dull and lackluster. Pulling out some muddiness and boxiness and perhaps high passing might be the first port of call, but usually a boost in the high mids/high end can help bring it forward a little more too. Because the drums and vocals are so prominent in music of this type, a good question to ask when equalising the vocal tone is "Is snare brighter than the vocal?". That seems to be the case here, so the vocal seems like it is coming in second to the drums to my ear, at least.

Maybe ease up on the de-esser, as I'm hearing some lisping happening...although that may be remedied if you simply add more high frequencies to the vocal.

Thanks for taking the time to mix & post your version of the track!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Thanks for the encouragement,FytaKyte.

I lowered the snare bottom considerably and adjusted the EQ on kick. The vocals got extra work on the EQ to make them clearer. Attached it the result.

.mp3    FytaKyte_Bitter_Mix2_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 7.42 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
Nice improvement! A lot more clarity in the vocal now - you may have gone slightly too far thinning out the low mids, but it's a lot better than it was. The kick works better, but now that it doesn't have all the click, I notice that it could probably do with a bit of a cut around... maybe 150hz(?) to get it to work better with the bass.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Just to see what difference a year can make, I had another shot at this tune. Comments welcome.

.m4a    FytaKyte_Bitter_Mix3B_Master.m4a --  (Download: 26.77 MB)

Peace,
Dave