Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prodigal Son (Neko Case-style mix)
Hey!

This is a gorgeous song and reminded me of Neko Case's music circa Fox Confessor Brings The Flood. So I ended up making this really atmospheric and reverby - fans of Big Thief and Daniel Lanois' Emmylou Harris collabs will probably appreciate my mix. The only thing is that the "never, no" backing vocals are significantly lower in mono, but other than that I think this is good. At -13.8 LUFS, it might even make Ian Shepherd happy.

If you think otherwise or have any other feedback, let me know!

.mp3    Prodigal Son Starnes & Shah.mp3 --  (Download: 7.2 MB)

It feels good. The main thing that jumps out at me is the bgv that doubles the vocal could come up. Other than that is sounds great.
HELL ON! Neko is a pretty spot-on reference. Still, even thou I can see there is reverb and space and depth in this mix, I think it's getting pushed to the backstage because for the most part, LV sounds dry. Yes, you can tell the reverb tail when the lines end, but it is pretty much a in-your-face sound, and pretty loud on top of it, it feels as if it's ducking pretty much everything, including its own reverb. In the final no-drums wheel, reverb gets super prominent all of a sudden, but I feel it'd make more sense the other way.

The drum intro is great (especially the kick), very Star Witness like, but when the verse begins, vocal turns everything kinda small. I like the left panned guitar, but it has little presence. BGV's on the refrain sound prety good, they take the space they need to, but they are hardly there in the bridges and the auxiliary vocal could help a lot given some more of the spotlight, maybe panned right?

Bass level is fine, but it seems as if sharing too much of the kickdrum's tonality, wonder if you could make it louder cutting some lowend and driving some mids, so it makes some contrast with the kick?
(14-04-2019, 01:51 PM)Deliza Wrote: HELL ON! Neko is a pretty spot-on reference. Still, even thou I can see there is reverb and space and depth in this mix, I think it's getting pushed to the backstage because for the most part, LV sounds dry. Yes, you can tell the reverb tail when the lines end, but it is pretty much a in-your-face sound, and pretty loud on top of it, it feels as if it's ducking pretty much everything, including its own reverb. In the final no-drums wheel, reverb gets super prominent all of a sudden, but I feel it'd make more sense the other way.

The drum intro is great (especially the kick), very Star Witness like, but when the verse begins, vocal turns everything kinda small. I like the left panned guitar, but it has little presence. BGV's on the refrain sound prety good, they take the space they need to, but they are hardly there in the bridges and the auxiliary vocal could help a lot given some more of the spotlight, maybe panned right?

Bass level is fine, but it seems as if sharing too much of the kickdrum's tonality, wonder if you could make it louder cutting some lowend and driving some mids, so it makes some contrast with the kick?

Never responded to this comment, but thank you for the thoughtful feedback - I may come back to this one in the future but your advice is already really helpful. Glad to see more Neko fans here!