Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fytakyte - Bitter
There are some very creative mixes of this song on this forum. I just stayed pretty simple with my mix... Please take a listen and tell me how I can improve.
Sorry I don't comment much on other tracks, but I feel that I am not "qualified" to give professional feedback. Some people in this forum have some serious listening skills!
Enjoy!

-Manny

.mp3    Fytakyte - Bitter.mp3 --  (Download: 5.09 MB)

Don't worry about being 'qualified' to comment on a mix. I'm not 'qualified' and I've been at this for a long time. Still, that doesn't stop me from making a comment. Unfortunately. Go with your gut and don't be a jerk and everything will be fine. Anyone's perspective can be useful. Even if it's just cheerleading. If something moves you, for better or worse, your opinion is valid.

This is a solid mix. Some balances can be tweaked but overall it works. I like the tone of the opening guitar. The snare might be a little loud. I'm pretty sure it's loud in my mix as well. It's could use a little midrange cut but that's minor eq fix. The rhodes gets lost and could stand out a little more. I like the 'lift' at the chorus but the vocals are a bit harsh. The bass level is good. I'm not sure how I feel about the shaker and tambourine. They're probably too loud but I like the groove they provide. (sorry I was distracted while writing this so it's all over the place)

Overall it sounds pretty good. Maybe it's a 'safe' mix but it supports the song and that's what's most important. There doesn't seem to be anything radical that needs to be done. Give it another listen, and make some adjustments.
Thumbs up to Roy's comments.

This is a good first go. There is no right or wrong, especially with something as complex as this song. Be creative and don't be afraid to go for something.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
The whole mix is "breathing" probably from a compressor on master bus .. take a closer look .. overall is a very good try .. everything comes with practice and reading and keep trying
Try to calibrate your monitors so you know you take the best you can out of them and compare your mixes with reference tracks ALL THE TIME .. also take breaks during your session every 15-20 minutes .. trust me, if you keep mixing constantly for hours with no break the result will be a trash