Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.29 Average
Fytakyte - Bitter - Updated Mix3a
(10-04-2019, 03:25 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Roy,

"Most people, only stop drinking, when there's nothing left in the cup"...
Profound, huh? For me, I just like to keep sucking from an empty cup in the impossible hope that it may magically fill again.

This song is all about texture, because eeking out definition with all of the layers presented is a fools errand, IMHO. So I didn't fight it. I did a bunch of mixes with this and I neither loved nor hated any of them. They all had some flaw in them. This is the one I decided to post, but I'm not sure why.

Have you had a chance to listen to any of the artist's other material? I followed his links and found out his other material is incredible. More Zappa-ish than anything else and brilliant stuff, excellently crafted and mixed. Would have loved to get my ears on some of those songs. I get the impression he posted this one with Mike because even he couldn't come up with something he liked!

Anyway, thanks for the critique. You always have great insights. Oh, and yes, definitely some "Cars" in this. Mention any '80s big hair band an you may find some allusion. Even Queen, but way thicker.
I can see what you're saying and can agree about going for texture over definition. I think part of it is knowing all of the elements in the song and listening for everything.

I haven't checked out the other songs by Fytakyte but I meant to. Thanks for the reminder. Also you reminded me that I meant to check out a Zappa song for a vocal sound I remember liking. So, bonus. I do think this is a good song to mix though for all of the parts and all of the choices and directions one can take this song in. It's great to practice on. Hopefully, he'll post others.

Cheers!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fytakyte - Bitter - by Roy - 10-04-2019, 01:51 PM
RE: Fytakyte - Bitter - by Mixinthecloud - 10-04-2019, 03:25 PM
RE: Fytakyte - Bitter - by Roy - 10-04-2019, 03:52 PM
RE: Fytakyte - Bitter - by Mixinthecloud - 10-04-2019, 04:40 PM
RE: Fytakyte - Bitter - by Roy - 10-04-2019, 04:47 PM
RE: Fytakyte - Bitter - by Mixinthecloud - 10-04-2019, 07:58 PM
RE: Fytakyte - Bitter - by Cudjoe - 10-04-2019, 04:56 PM
RE: Fytakyte - Bitter - by Mixinthecloud - 10-04-2019, 07:34 PM
RE: Fytakyte - Bitter - by tgraph - 11-04-2019, 05:24 AM
RE: Fytakyte - Bitter - by FytaKyte - 11-04-2019, 01:37 PM