Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 'Mix Rescue' mix
Here's the mix I did of this track for Sound On Sound magazine's April 2012 'Mix Rescue' column, using Cubase v6 and various third-party (mostly UAD2-based) plug-ins. The only thing I added to the raw multitracks was a sneaky low-level synth pad from Steinberg's hoary old Embracer synth to warm up the choruses. If you'd like to investigate the settings of this remix in more detail, the complete Cubase project can be downloaded from this page.

.mp3    1204_Remix.mp3 --  (Download: 4.38 MB)

Is it necessary to sample the drums in every song?
The stingrays must be fat this year
I'm moving slow, in my lowest gear....♪♫
(18-10-2012, 03:41 AM)Yippie37 Wrote: Is it necessary to sample the drums in every song?

Not sure exactly what you mean here, but I'm pretty sure the answer's 'no' whichever way I interpret your question! Smile There are no inviolable rules in mixing; but by the same token I don't think there are any means that aren't justifiable if the end result sounds better.

In other words, if adding sampled drums to a mix improves the sound, then go for it. If I recall correctly, though, in this particular mix there was no sample triggering at all. I think it's just the live drum mics you're hearing.
Thought I heard that drums in others songs, maybe it's just the way you mix it to sound really punchy. Thanks for answering Big Grin
The stingrays must be fat this year
I'm moving slow, in my lowest gear....♪♫
hey there Mike love the sound you go here
sound very Steve Albini if you who he and iam sure you
if check out nirvana in utero you achieve a great grunge rock sound there ...nice mix I would love to pick your brain a bit if you have time
later man
thank you
mike v. mikrostudios usa fl
Nice mix Mike,how do you find cubase to Reaper?
(17-04-2012, 08:36 AM)Mike Senior Wrote: Here's the mix I did of this track for Sound On Sound magazine's April 2012 'Mix Rescue' column, using Cubase v6 and various third-party (mostly UAD2-based) plug-ins. The only thing I added to the raw multitracks was a sneaky low-level synth pad from Steinberg's hoary old Embracer synth to warm up the choruses. If you'd like to investigate the settings of this remix in more detail, the complete Cubase project can be downloaded from this page.

Hi Mike.

I love the track and your mix of it.
If I have to pick at two things regarding the mix it will be:
1. The kick sounds awesome, but in my opinion too loud.
2. The track sounds to compressed or limited?

Maybe it's just me, I'm no expert in the field.
A song is never finished... Only abandoned. So sing if you've got nothing left to say.