Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starnes & Shah: 'Prodigal Son'
(09-04-2019, 04:03 PM)Deliza Wrote: Yep, simple means ain't any less inspiring. I'll download the tracks again so to try that trick.

Knock it out of the park, Deliza.Smile
(11-04-2019, 11:32 AM)Dangerous Wrote:
(09-04-2019, 01:12 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Ha. I'm not disappointed at all. The phase reversal is an interesting idea. And that reminds me, why doesn't every DAW have a dedicated have reversal button? And I like how that EQ shows you the closest note to the frequency you're eq-ing.

Yes, I'm a big fan of the phase button. I'm in the habit now days of flicking it in and out when making tonal changes to a track or tracks. Very useful.

Thats ingenious, can you automate phase in reaper dave?
Generic track phase it's not "automatable"? per se (doesn't appear as an envelope), but alternatively you can invert phase at item level, so it'd be just a matter of splitting items and choose which are inverted or not.

If you prefer an evenlope, you could go for any plugin that does it (some JS plugins are phase dedicated, I think) and automate the "wet" control, or maybe try the bypass envelope.
The sound stage isn't making sense. Hard panning sounds unnatural without doing something to counter this. Guitar Right in right ear, but it’s presence is missing entirely in the left ear, etc.

Up until about 1975, or replicating a vintage performance, you could get away with it, but come on old fruit, this is 2019. Over speakers, the room will have some effect on my interpretation of placement of the instrument relative to the other elements in the performance, but it’s still not right. In the cans, it’s really obvious. Panning only changes loudness between speakers, no more.

So my speaker sounds like a guitar cab Big Grin

The two voices don’t work for me unless bv1 takes the backing role. Having both sing at the same time all the way through the song is too much emotional disparity to me, even the breather’s are different along with the compression-eq characteristics which affect each performance. For me at least, the lead vocal sounds very matter-of-fact which I feel works well for the concept. bv1 is starkly different in that she portrays a different emotion, is softer, more exposed, innocent, so there’s an emotional disconnect which arguably, is a potential distraction. However, if BV1 came in during the chorus but then only as a backing placement, the song, the mix, might work better. The audience is anticipating change during the chorus anyway. I’m not criticising the project, but simply focusing on what I think is important to deliver in the mix.

Avoiding distraction is paramount, oui?
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
(11-04-2019, 01:26 PM)Deliza Wrote: Generic track phase it's not "automatable"? per se (doesn't appear as an envelope), but alternatively you can invert phase at item level, so it'd be just a matter of splitting items and choose which are inverted or not.

If you prefer an evenlope, you could go for any plugin that does it (some JS plugins are phase dedicated, I think) and automate the "wet" control, or maybe try the bypass envelope.

Little Labs IBP, it doesn't restrict you to with just in or out switches. It's also wicked at delivering some radical effects by automating it's many parameters.
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
Yeah, automation would only be achievable through a plugin with Reaper I believe. Not that I've ever had a need for it. Time and phasing relationships between tracks are usually synchronised in the digital world so automaton would not normally be required. Time shifting plugins are very useful though, for more precise timing alignment of phasing issues. Automation of these setting can be useful for crazy comb filtering type effects. A manual flanging control if you like.
(11-04-2019, 01:26 PM)Deliza Wrote: Generic track phase it's not "automatable"? per se (doesn't appear as an envelope), but alternatively you can invert phase at item level, so it'd be just a matter of splitting items and choose which are inverted or not.

Thats kinda what i thought but with the how can of changeable reaper is i thought you may have had some sort of script in your back pocket

(11-04-2019, 01:31 PM)Monk Wrote: The sound stage isn't making sense. Hard panning sounds unnatural without doing something to counter this. Guitar Right in right ear, but it’s presence is missing entirely in the left ear, etc.

Up until about 1975, or replicating a vintage performance, you could get away with it, but come on old fruit, this is 2019. Over speakers, the room will have some effect on my interpretation of placement of the instrument relative to the other elements in the performance, but it’s still not right. In the cans, it’s really obvious. Panning only changes loudness between speakers, no more.

So my speaker sounds like a guitar cab Big Grin

The two voices don’t work for me unless bv1 takes the backing role. Having both sing at the same time all the way through the song is too much emotional disparity to me, even the breather’s are different along with the compression-eq characteristics which affect each performance. For me at least, the lead vocal sounds very matter-of-fact which I feel works well for the concept. bv1 is starkly different in that she portrays a different emotion, is softer, more exposed, innocent, so there’s an emotional disconnect which arguably, is a potential distraction. However, if BV1 came in during the chorus but then only as a backing placement, the song, the mix, might work better. The audience is anticipating change during the chorus anyway. I’m not criticising the project, but simply focusing on what I think is important to deliver in the mix.

Avoiding distraction is paramount, oui?

Not too sure I was trying to make this sound like it was from 1975 nor 2019 for that matter. In saying this I'm happy with my stereo placement of the arrangement. Although not to everyones taste, I'm sure my execution of my vision could have been better. Besides, this is a 2025 mix! Watch this space..... Your dreamin' again Dave you trend setter.Angel

I did take some referencing from a Finn Brothers track where the drums were pushed back almost into a different space. This was something I loosely tried to achieve with this mix. Reverb choices could have been better.

I do agree with the BV part and filtering it through the song as you suggest would be beneficial and for that matter some general automation of the musical parts within applies also. I was conscience of "distractions" but felt I had it in check.

Whether for good or bad, I basically try to mix instinctively without too much thought and for the most part it works or me. I also still love to throw things around and panning is part of that process. Although my skill set is limiting, I do try to keep things tasteful and musical.

I do thank you for these comments Monk. If it doesn't impact this mix, It will aid my work process moving forward.

Dave