Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Doppler Shift - Atrophy Mix
I am using this song for a project for my mixing class. Let me know what you think/any improvements I could make. Thanks!

.mp3    Atrophy Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 12.24 MB)

Wow dude. Mixing class as in audio college? Cool. First of all your mix doesn't sound finished. Here are some advice :

-The drums sound like cardboard boxes. Kill a lot of low-mid(~150-350
Hz) in the kicks and boost~60-70 Hz depending on your taste and the bass line. Once you did that you can turn up the bass to fill the low end and still keep the clarity. Also ~5k boost for the kick never hurts in heavier music. Don't be too gentle, I assure you at least try cranking stuff out (just not until it clips audibly)

-You seem to be abusing Widener/Stereo tools too much. Not sure if you just put an M/S EQ on the kick and suck away all the mid signal? It makes the kick sound empty and weird.

-Cymbals can do away with lots of boxiness (~350-500Hz) and in heavier music Highpass is almost a must in order to get rid of snares/kicks. You should already get enough of them from the close mics. Right now the cymbals are clouding the guitars, making both sound worse.

-Vocals sound fine.

This should get you started. I look forward to hearing an update from you. Good Luck, mate!