Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rainy Day II-RoyM Mixes
03-04-2019, 01:06 AM
Rainy Day II-RoyM Mixes
Mix 1:CD-RainyDayII-RMmix02e
This is my opening attempt at this tune. It's not there yet but I got deep enough into this versions that I needed to just finish it up. I'm getting a Steve Albini vibe from this song. I think I need to start again from scratch and go for a more natural feel.

.mp3   CD-RainyDayII-RMmix02e.mp3 --  (Download: 12.21 MB)

I only have earbuds to listen and mix with at the moment. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.
-
Don't mix for other mixers.
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2019, 05:12 AM
RE: Rainy Day II-RoyM Mixes
Hey Roy, cool mix! How did you process the drums? I personally think they're a bit too harsh but holy crap, they hit way harder than my mix (I'm the guy in Cotton Drifting) and I love it. I also like how the higher pitched chord guitars are louder and more upfront at the end in your mix. It's a very "rude awakening" which is the point of that section. Strangely (or not so) enough, I have a great respect for Steve's work and his philosophies so I do tend to lean more towards the natural side of things, though I liked the delay effect on the end solo guitar. It's very interesting to get a different mix perspective so thanks for tackling it!
03-04-2019, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I think they're too harsh as well, I was fighting the cymbals a lot and maybe I kinda gave up. Ha.
I'd have to look to see what I did. I didn't do too much because as I mixed the song I tended to bring back the eq and compression I had on the the drums. I started with a traditional rock sound but then brought it back. I'm pretty sure I had a L1 limiter on the kick to even it out and maybe an l2 on the drum bus but I'm not sure it was hitting that very hard. I was being lazy. One thing I did near the end of mixing was drop the OHs (I think) and pan the room mics opposite each other. I also delayed the rooms by 20ms which is a big Albini thing to do. I think one thing that played into making the drums hitting hard was I recently listening to the song "Cue" by Scott Walker. It has some brick that was used as percussion. Plus I loved the dynamics on that song so I wanted to incorporate it into this one.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about the delay on the guitar at the end but I put it on early and wound up liking it.

Thanks for providing the track. It's a cool song.

I only have earbuds to listen and mix with at the moment. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.
-
04-04-2019, 12:00 AM
And it was on this day I listened to Scott Walker for the first time.... But yeah, I think I did the same sort of delay with the room mics. I didn't use a limiter but I was hitting a compressor on the drum bus at 6-7 dB's max and compressing the overheads pretty heavily on the snare hits to duck them down. Maybe it's between that and your more heavy use of the room mics (or artificial reverb?) that makes it hit harder than mine. Also, what did you do to the ambient track? I hope I'm not bombarding you with questions but I'm quite curious.
04-04-2019, 12:22 AM
(04-04-2019 12:00 AM)GinghamJones Wrote:  And it was on this day I listened to Scott Walker for the first time.... But yeah, I think I did the same sort of delay with the room mics. I didn't use a limiter but I was hitting a compressor on the drum bus at 6-7 dB's max and compressing the overheads pretty heavily on the snare hits to duck them down. Maybe it's between that and your more heavy use of the room mics (or artificial reverb?) that makes it hit harder than mine. Also, what did you do to the ambient track? I hope I'm not bombarding you with questions but I'm quite curious.
ask anything you want. Though I'll admit to doing most things pretty haphazardly.
The ambient track? Do you mean the mono drum room? Or the vocal room?
The mono drum room was delayed and compressed and panned opposite the stereo room mic which was also delayed and hard panned.

The vocal room..? Let me check...
Also delayed 20ms. With some room reverb (2.4sec chamber in Logic).
The main vocal and the room were both sent to a number of busses. Two were pretty compressed/limited. One is normally unprocessed but I added an expander to increase the dynamics. A fourth had some saturation and that came on later on. Essentially the Main vocal had some automation and de-essing. The compressed busses kept it up front. When pushed and the room mic kicked in the compressed channels were pushed down and the expander pushed the vocal more. So when it was quiet, it had a compressed, in your face tone. As it got louder the more natural level was actually louder. By the "3rd" section of vocals ("Go away...") the saturation track was turned on to push the vocal and help bring it up to compete with the louder music. All of that returns to a master Ld Vocal channel that has some minor eq and a hint of compression; 2db at most with a dbx 165 emulation which is pretty transparent. It's probably unnecessary.

Scott Walker is a bit fascinating. He died just recently so he was in the forefront of my mind. But he was a 60s pop star to an avant grade songwriter. If you or anyone reading this is at all interested in music and the mind check out the 30th Century Man documentary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY8C5M9kCSU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEYWGQMqC74
And again, ask away. I'm happy to share whatever.
Cheers.

-
04-04-2019, 12:36 AM
Also, looking again at the session to see what I was doing...
The room mics were delayed and hard panned. Both had individual compression. They were then sent to a stereo buss. I normally have a buss that's overheads, rooms, his hats. Normally not much happens to that bus but this time I also had a compressor on that. Though I'm not sure where in the process that happened. I had dropped the OH track at some point and maybe it was to tie all those tracks together. I don't recall. There's some eq going on that buss as well. I'm sure to cut some highs. That, along with some other drum tracks go to a drum buss. Which has a compressor to gel things and also it seems I put a de-esser on that. Again, I'm assuming to tame the cymbals. And yet they were still harsh! The yeah, then that goes to another bus that had a little L2 limiter. It sounds like a lot and it is but it's a path way I have set up for a more traditional drum sound. It makes more sense in that scenario. Also, I forgot to mention the send to a "Nuke" track with some saturation and a CLA76 with all buttons in. This is just he room tracks the Kick and snare have different individual processing but take the same path to the drum bus.
Keep in mind that, in retrospect, I'd probably do things a lot differently. I was just routing things through my normal mix setup.

I know...

-
04-04-2019, 02:09 AM
My god, that's intense! Haha. I'm guessing the harshness is coming from the mono room mic or maybe even both of them then. I used an AKG P420 and I feel like that's a pretty harsh mic to begin with which compounds on the lack of room treatment where I recorded drums. I only used it in the first section of the song then I think I cut it out for the rest. The vocal processing is interesting, I might have to try some of that on something. I don't generally do parallel processing, I've never used an expander except to gate something on rare occasion, and I have an unfortunate and neglectful relationship with de-essers. By the ambient track, I meant the thunder storm tracks, my bad for not being specific! What I hear of it in your mix sounds like you might have cut more low-mids, or added reverb, or something that made it feel like it had more depth. Hell, maybe it's just quieter haha!

I just got done listening to the entirety of The Drift from Scott Walker and it's hard to believe he started out making pop music in the 60's. That was beautifully haunting. There's a band called Daughters that recently released an album that I thought was one of the most intense things I'd ever heard (it's called You Won't Get What You Want if you haven't heard it and are interested in checking it out) but this has definitely topped that. Anyway, he sounds like an interesting dude, I'll have to check out the documentary.
04-04-2019, 02:18 AM
It sounds like a lot but it's not as bad as it sounds. I think I toyed with switching room mics on and off for different sections at some point. I tried a lot of stuff before essentially giving up. By that I mean I realized I was going down the wrong path and needed to start from scratch. I don't use expanders much either but read about someone else using them and it seemed like a good spot to try to increase some dynamics.

I thought you might have meant the storm tracks some time after I last posted. I don't recall exactly what I did with them. I'd have to check the session. I think I may have added a subharmonic synth plugin to add some lows to the thunder and added a image widening plugin on one of the tracks to add some depth.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely check out the Daughters.

-

Support my video work!
Advertisement: