Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bitter by FytaKyte ~ tgraph mix
fun song

mixed to -14 LUFS w/-1.1 true peak

4/4 ~ tried to clean up some of the 'noise' in the first mix

4/7 ~ cleaned up again

4/11 ~ cut about 10 tracks out and reduced the dreaded verb... Still trying to make this sound like a band rather than a mix challenge.

You may need to turn these up. Who says the loudness war is over?

.mp3    Bitter.mp3 --  (Download: 7.2 MB)

.mp3    Bitter2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.17 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. ~ E.K.
Different approach here - quite a bit more ambient than most mixes I've heard.

I like the idea of using generous ambience to create atmosphere and depth, but I think here it's a little overdone, as it tends to make everything sound a little distant and thin, rather than deep and dimensional. I'd suggest trying some shorter, darker ambiences, and experimenting with the effect of pre-delay times on your reverbs.

Balance wise, the tambo is overpowering things a bit too much, and the hihats are really dominant. The dominant hihats especially negatively affect the groove IMO. Try listening to the effect of different levels on the hats - a level that doesn't subdivide the beat too evenly as it does now and allows the punctuation of the kick and snare to drive the groove.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Thanks for giving it a listen.. and for the tracks.

I try to get a band sound more than a mix sound and I get what you're saying.. This was a trickier one than it seemed at first.

edit to add: I think i found it in the overhead/room tracks.
Well, I think that the mix is well balanced and it has good balance between loudness and dynamics, allowing punch to come through. It just feels like the hi-hats are too loud in the mix, and there's a bit too much reverb on the drums.
Hmm. The environment is big and wonderfully stated. However, it sounds like the dry signal is missing. I found myself wanting to dial back the reverb. The things is, what is here sounds great but I think puts the performance too far away from the listener. It's a great room you created. Just too much of I feel. The song loses its emotional core too much.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
This actually isn’t dynamic, it’s quiet. I’m wondering if you are confusing the Integrated Loudness value with dynamic, because on it’s own, this value is meaningless other than I know in advance that it’s not going to blast my cochleas to smithereens.

You’re over compressing, which is one of the reasons for the problem in the treble range which you aren’t hearing for some reason. Being candid, the acoustic guitar is a hazard to my healthy ears; you are generally pushing the treble region too hard. Over compression is the same as a loud mix, you still end up with non-linear distortion artifacts.

The sheer density of tracks points to an over produced project. Unattended, this will rob the mix of dynamic as well as threatening to impart the artifacts of non-linear distortion on the listener. At one point there’s 12 guitar fundamentals and overtones, without even considering the issues of keys, vocal, bass, drums and percussion. You need to confront this issue with a wholly impartial vision while being mindful that every track added loses valuable headroom too; less is more, more is less. Furthermore, all these tracks result in the loss of stereo contrast, making the song less interesting and engaging for a listener.
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
Thanks for all of the comments.