Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andrew Cole - Dead Roses
Alright. This is my mix of "Dead Roses"

What a great track to mix. All those mics to choose from!!! Big Grin
Anyway, I gave it my best shot.

Something I found difficult to decide on was the overall loudness of the drums in the mix. Just couldn't make up my mind.
After I post this I'll probably go back and change it again. Dodgy
And just maybe the bass might be a bit loud or muddy (let me know)

The feel that I wanted was to make it sound like a live studio recording.
I like mixes to be a bit "raw"/ more natural.
I tried to stay away from too much reverb, although I did "let loose" on the electric guitar. Big Grin

I'm not too familiar with the mastering process. Just applied some limiting to Final Mix.

Please give me your opinions/suggestions on things I could improve on.

Thanks
Gerrit

.mp3    Andrew Cole - Dead Roses (1st Mix).mp3 --  (Download: 9.04 MB)

A song is never finished... Only abandoned. So sing if you've got nothing left to say.
Nice balanced sounding mix ,as you mentioned about the bass guitar may just need a slight dip somewhere between 160-200hz Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(04-10-2013, 01:33 PM)thedon Wrote: Nice balanced sounding mix ,as you mentioned about the bass guitar may just need a slight dip somewhere between 160-200hz Big Grin !

Thank you very much. Smile
I also suspected that was the problem frequency range. But didn't want to tamper before someone else also picked it up.

Thanks for the positive feedback.
A song is never finished... Only abandoned. So sing if you've got nothing left to say.
Hello Gerrit, I think the general rule this mixture well made, the acoustic guitar is a bit "thin", the female voice is a little low in the part where she sings alone. could be lack of automation in the mix to care these details. But the feeling and mix color I really like.
good job.

Sergio
(04-10-2013, 01:56 PM)flyrecords Wrote: Hello Gerrit, I think the general rule this mixture well made, the acoustic guitar is a bit "thin", the female voice is a little low in the part where she sings alone. could be lack of automation in the mix to care these details. But the feeling and mix color I really like.
good job.

Sergio

Thanks Sergio

Now that you've mentioned it, I do notice the female vocals to be a bit low on her own. I'll apply some automation as you suggested.

Think I was too careful with the acoustic guitar. usually I over do it in a mix with too much.
I agree with your comment. I'll beef it up a bit.
I love the intimate feel youve createted with the vocals....very nice and so in keeping with the track.

I hear you on the kick drum in my mix but like you say its all personal taste and I like a little more thump.....

Very proffesionalally mixed. Good balance and feel for the song....Wink

Simon.
(05-10-2013, 10:24 PM)simonblarkin Wrote: I love the intimate feel youve createted with the vocals....very nice and so in keeping with the track.

I hear you on the kick drum in my mix but like you say its all personal taste and I like a little more thump.....

Very proffesionalally mixed. Good balance and feel for the song....Wink

Simon.

Hi Simon

Yeah. Absolutely. Mixing is a creative process.
There isn't a wrong or right (in my opinion). It's your interpretation of the music and what you think/want it to sound like. Cool

Thanks for the feedback.
Highly appreciated.
Alright

Guys, thanks for the feedback and advice. I've reworked the track a bit.

Here's what I did:

1.Beefed up the acoustic guitar slightly.
2.Increased the compression on the vocals. Which smoothed out the volume differences.
3.Made a 3dB cut on the bass from 160Hz to 200Hz. This has removed most of the "muddyness" I experienced on the bass track.

Let me know if you think it needs more work. Cool

.mp3    Andrew Cole - Dead Roses (2nd Mix).mp3 --  (Download: 9.04 MB)