Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bitter
Obviously a fan of Rick Springfield and so am I so here it is a Rick Springfield version

Used Waves EMI 12345 on Master Seemed like the best fit lifted bottom and top end.

.mp3    Bitter.mp3 --  (Download: 4.16 MB)

I was thinking more of the Cars (which is probably why I went more Weezer in my version) but I can hear Rick Springfield as well.
It sounds pretty good. The only thing I really have an issue with is the thump of the kick I think it could be a bit more defined. I like the focus on the BGVs, especially in the bridge. There's parts I've definitely didn't notice before.
I gotta agree with the kick it was a bit naff - I could not replace it for some reason so best of a bad job on that one
No definition in the bottom end,its all mushy .Top end is better but pretty harsh in most elements for me
(02-04-2019, 12:54 AM)takka360 Wrote: No definition in the bottom end,its all mushy .Top end is better but pretty harsh in most elements for me

Thanks for your comment .... but it would be a little more constructive to say maybe edit the transient of the bass drum or try a sample or turn down the eq by 2 db or so and on 5k or above or something or other. Mushy and Harsh seems a little generic so will take that as a bit of afters from my comments on Roy's mix but no hard feelings.

I am experimenting with Dangerous EQ and EMi 12345 so could use some TURN the F*ng solo down or something type of comment.

But noted it does sound a bit flabby on the kick (did not like the kick at all and Dangerous does boost the low end a lot in a strange way) and a bit shrill on certain notes (probably the EMI that one). Hope that helps with your own mix.

I GAVE THIS ANOTHER LIS...Sorry, caps lock. I gave this another listen. I still think it sounds pretty good. To add some further comments I think the main melody guitar part is a bit loud. It's just so prevalent that it doesn't need to be so upfront all the time. Keep the F*ng solo level where it is.
LOL - thanks for the comments will give this a bit of attention at weekend and take your comments on board and fix stuff.
Hi RG - Rick Springfield...er no...not really...Although he is (originally) a fellow countryman... I actually preferred him when he was in the Zoot back in the late 60s/early 70s - check out their cover of Eleanor Rigby: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iptr7i7sFkM That's young Rick on guitar and BVs.
I wrote about the kind of bands/sounds that inspired the song here: http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...6#pid81266
...But I digress... To your mix...

You've gone for a bit of a dryer approach here which I wasn't keen on at first, but it does grow on me after a while.

I quite like the rawer, roomy sounding drums, but I'm finding the kick a bit too subby and "rubbery". I think a tighter sustain on the kick, and a little less sub would compliment the groove of the song better. Overall though, I do appreciate the depth in the drum sound.

I like the overall placement of the lead vocal in the mix, but something about it treatment and processing gives it a slightly "lo-fi" vibe. That's fine as a stylistic choice, and I'm not opposed to it per se. It's just that when the backing vocals come in, they sound very polished and "hi-fi", and the contrast seems to create a slight sense of cognitive dissonance, which kinda takes me out of the moment.

I'm particularly partial to the guitar solo - it's fairly loud, but it has just the right amount of dream-state "ethereal-ness". Nice!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Thanks for your comments - may just check out the vid

Gotta agree with the kick

I really was trying to get the Rick Springfield 80s sound - did actually listen RS before the mix and when loading it in - bit sad I know but his albums are great apart from the last one which was absolute ....