Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Santa Fe - Fruition
Nice little song, thank you for posting it.. I mixed this one on a laptop with Studio One, a few Waves plugins, and a sound bar with a sub..

.mp3    Santa Fe.mp3 --  (Download: 5.11 MB)

Mike

[email protected]
Duluth, MN
It feels a little "swimmy" at first but the vocal balances it out and it works. It kinda reminds me of something off of "Time Out Of Mind" by Bob Dylan.The guitar hits on the right are a little harsh and stab at the ear. Though that's a common issue I have with that part. The organ can come up. It sounds far away. I feel like there might be too much in the way of low end but it's hard for me to judge. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. The vocal sounds good and is in the spotlight which is the most important thing.
Very nice. Good environment and balance mostly. Great vocals and dynamics. Here are the things I find could be addressed.

The organ needs work and seems to be a lost element in your mix. Coming out of the choruses it should be an answer to the vocal phrase and is very low in your mix.
Toms may be a bit thick and could be more pointilistic instead of heavy.
The guitar during the bridge is too hot against her vocal and should be in back of her in support. In general the guitars need a lot of automation in this song.
Mastering would help enhance this otherwise excellent take. You edited the front of the song but did not do so on the end. Seems a bit unfinished.

Despite my suggestions I think this is a very good take.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Thank you for the input, yeah I ran out of time at the end, didn't get in all the little finishing touches like editing all the tracks and automation, it was very astute of you to pick up on that. Not sure why the organ didn't translate well, sounded good earlier but I probably threw one last tweak on it and forgot.. but yeah I'll probably spend another half hour on it and see if I can polish it sometime. And thank you I appreciate the insights. The heavy toms was a sytyliistic choice and i think with some more work I could pull it off but there is a lot going on in the song at that moment so may not be the best place for it, but I've always liked using heavy tons to build up excitement, but may not work here... thanks again!
Mike

[email protected]
Duluth, MN