Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Fruition - 'Santa Fe' by music_nino
Hello everyone,

I've tried to get a smooth and easy listening mix. Hope you enjoy it. Give me some feedback! Smile

Cheers,
music_nino

.mp3    Fruition - \'Santa Fe\'.mp3 --  (Download: 7.99 MB)

.mp3    Fruition - \'Santa Fe\'_2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.97 MB)

.mp3    Fruition - \'Santa Fe\'_3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.95 MB)

It works. There's some hiss but that's not a big deal. It feels a little bright. The guitar on the left could come down a little. It sometimes gets in the way of the vocal.
There's random noise at about 4:40. If you used the "Chamber" track it might be in there.
All minor issues but it's stuff that I noticed.
I don't know if I would call it smooth or easy listening but it's a pretty solid mix.
(26-03-2019, 03:13 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: It works. There's some hiss but that's not a big deal. It feels a little bright. The guitar on the left could come down a little. It sometimes gets in the way of the vocal.
There's random noise at about 4:40. If you used the "Chamber" track it might be in there.
All minor issues but it's stuff that I noticed.
I don't know if I would call it smooth or easy listening but it's a pretty solid mix.

Hey Roy,
Thanks for your feedback! You are right, there was a lot of highend noise in the overhead, room and chamber tracks which I didn't realize. I have cleared them up. I also reduced the guitar a bit. Moreover, there was a "bump" on the vocal track around 250Hz and lower, which I have also reduced.

Check it out and give me your opinion!
Best,
music_nino
V2 sounds pretty smooth. I think the vocal still has some upper mid range peaks that could be tamed but it's not too bad. It's definitely an improvement over all.
I sense very little compression on the lead vocal and automation as the main leveling for her placement. Overall I think her voice is excellent but too far in front of the ensemble. The clarity you maintain could be laid back a touch to get her to act as part of the group better. The ensemble is very nicely presented.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Backing vocal is lost. This is an important accent in the song.
Alexander
(04-04-2019, 04:24 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: I sense very little compression on the lead vocal and automation as the main leveling for her placement. Overall I think her voice is excellent but too far in front of the ensemble. The clarity you maintain could be laid back a touch to get her to act as part of the group better. The ensemble is very nicely presented.

Dear Mixinthecloud,

Thank you for your feedback! I have also noticed that the vocal was to loud. I also didn't like the way I have mixed the vocals, so I have mixed them again to bring the main vocal more in the front without making it louder. Please check out Mix3 and give me your opinion.

Best,
music_nino
(10-04-2019, 02:09 PM)Equilibrium Wrote: Backing vocal is lost. This is an important accent in the song.

Dear Equilibrium,

I appreciate your comment. I have mixed the vocals again and I've also tried to bring the backing vocals up. Check it out and give me some feedback! Smile

Best,
music_nino
(10-04-2019, 03:56 PM)music_nino Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 04:24 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: I sense very little compression on the lead vocal and automation as the main leveling for her placement. Overall I think her voice is excellent but too far in front of the ensemble. The clarity you maintain could be laid back a touch to get her to act as part of the group better. The ensemble is very nicely presented.

Dear Mixinthecloud,

Thank you for your feedback! I have also noticed that the vocal was to loud. I also didn't like the way I have mixed the vocals, so I have mixed them again to bring the main vocal more in the front without making it louder. Please check out Mix3 and give me your opinion.

Best,
music_nino

Better. Certainly better than the dry vocals of version _2. I seemed to have not listened to the original mix and only to version _2 previously. The original version may be your best go at this. I do sense some timidity with the level of her guitar (the one on the right) at the beginning of the song. Other than that this is very pleasing to listen to. Well done.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(10-04-2019, 04:06 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(10-04-2019, 03:56 PM)music_nino Wrote:

Dear Mixinthecloud,

Best,
music_nino

Better. Certainly better than the dry vocals of version _2. I seemed to have not listened to the original mix and only to version _2 previously. The original version may be your best go at this. I do sense some timidity with the level of her guitar (the one on the right) at the beginning of the song. Other than that this is very pleasing to listen to. Well done.

Thanks! I have worked a bit on the timidity on the right guitar in the beginning. I also changed the vocals again in version 3.