Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.4 Average
'Santa Fe' AndyGallas Mix
I like it. I do feel like the vocal is a little loud and I've been vocal on the board about wanting louder vocals in most mixes. It doesn't feel disconnected to me but maybe a little too out front. I like the vocal verb I notice it without it getting in the way at all. I think the guitar on the right could use a bit less lows to give more room for the bass. It might come down a little as well. Ot maybe the left guitar could come up at times. Overall, it's very good. Just some minor points.

As far as the star controversy, I was never personally a fan. It gets abused. Especially when people give their own posts five stars. I give myself one star on most of my posts in protest. Also my mixes usually suck.
(25-03-2019, 05:50 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I like it. I do feel like the vocal is a little loud and I've been vocal on the board about wanting louder vocals in most mixes. It doesn't feel disconnected to me but maybe a little too out front. I like the vocal verb I notice it without it getting in the way at all. I think the guitar on the right could use a bit less lows to give more room for the bass. It might come down a little as well. Ot maybe the left guitar could come up at times. Overall, it's very good. Just some minor points.

As far as the star controversy, I was never personally a fan. It gets abused. Especially when people give their own posts five stars. I give myself one star on most of my posts in protest. Also my mixes usually suck.

Thank you very much Roy!
I'm mixing for a long time now and did realize that I hear different on my left and right ear. I do swap left/right from time to time but more then often I'm confused especially with hard panned elements in sparse arrangements, believe that? And the fact that I mixed that on cans makes the problem even worse and was probably not a good idea. Well, one is getting old, hahaha. So thanks for pointing that out!

I wanted the vocals big and therefor, yes, loud and rather dry. I think it works (yet) but is on a borderline for sure.

Here is an example for to loud, unconnected vocals I had in mind ;)

Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb7dgbV3LDs
I understand. Sometimes I wonder if my earbuds are relatively uniform in both the left and right. I'm sure we all hear differently in each ear.
I think the loud vocals work. At least more than if they were the other way around. They're sparse enough that they can be big and make their point and be out in front. I think the main difference between this mix and the youtube video you posted is the Kari Bremnes vocal is a lot softer sounding. It doesn't 'push' as hard as the Fruition singer. That warmer sound can be more out front and be easier to listen to. To be fair the Bremnes song is sofer in general so it doesn't have to protect as much to compete with the guitar sound that's in the Fruition track.

Edit: I just remember I forgot to add that the Kari Bremnes is most certainly a higher end vocal mic where as on this track it's a dynamic so it's have a bump in the upper mids to cut more in live situations.