Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chad Hollister Band: 'Eyes' - Ulakin mix
I like this song Smile

.mp3    Eyes.mp3 --  (Download: 10.45 MB)

Hey man i dig that snare. Nice mix I like it Smile Since u had nice bass I think id want a tiny more of it but, I think it sits nicely. I like that you went for wide saxes. I think that verse need a bit more attention maybe but everything has its own place good job. Maybe also the guitars are a tiny small versus the saxes.
It sounds pretty good. Overall the mix feels pretty 'brash' but it works. My only real complaint is the electric guitar is fairly loud/harsh. It feels more in the spotlight than the vocal.
The mandolin sounds pretty good. That's one element that's been hard to get to work on this song.
Good job.
(19-03-2019, 02:59 PM)crownoise Wrote: Hey man i dig that snare. Nice mix I like it Smile Since u had nice bass I think id want a tiny more of it but, I think it sits nicely. I like that you went for wide saxes. I think that verse need a bit more attention maybe but everything has its own place good job. Maybe also the guitars are a tiny small versus the saxes.
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe some elements will be lost, because I mix music without professional monitors(
(19-03-2019, 03:00 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: It sounds pretty good. Overall the mix feels pretty 'brash' but it works. My only real complaint is the electric guitar is fairly loud/harsh. It feels more in the spotlight than the vocal.
The mandolin sounds pretty good. That's one element that's been hard to get to work on this song.
Good job.
Thanks for the feedback. I will try to do better in the future Smile
overall a pretty tidy sounding mix. Good drums and well controlled bass. I like the wide horns too

(19-03-2019, 08:35 PM)Ulakin Wrote: Maybe some elements will be lost, because I mix music without professional monitors(

That may explain some of what I'm hearing - which is a really loud mid range honking resonance coming off the mandolin. Not during the solo but really obvious during the rhythmic sections. I'm guessing around 600hz or so.

Also, Vox FX maybe are on the limit i think of being a bit over done. But that maybe because of the above mentioned mandolin resonance jumping out at crucial vocal moments. If you tame that, maybe the vox fx will sit better.

Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
(20-03-2019, 11:31 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: overall a pretty tidy sounding mix. Good drums and well controlled bass. I like the wide horns too

(19-03-2019, 08:35 PM)Ulakin Wrote: Maybe some elements will be lost, because I mix music without professional monitors(

That may explain some of what I'm hearing - which is a really loud mid range honking resonance coming off the mandolin. Not during the solo but really obvious during the rhythmic sections. I'm guessing around 600hz or so.

Also, Vox FX maybe are on the limit i think of being a bit over done. But that maybe because of the above mentioned mandolin resonance jumping out at crucial vocal moments. If you tame that, maybe the vox fx will sit better.
Thank you for such a comment. I will be more attentive to the average range.