Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passenger Side
This is my take

.mp3    PassSide.mp3 --  (Download: 9.87 MB)

I think the biggest issue is the vocal effect. It's a bit distracting. It might work if it were lower and just on the second part of the verse for some variety. The overall mix feels pretty 'processed'. A bit distorted and could have a little more lows. But it kinda works. It sounds like a record. Nothing jumps out or songs bad except for some guitar lines that can feel a bit harsh. I think it sounds cool. Different, but cool.
(18-03-2019, 03:56 AM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I think the biggest issue is the vocal effect. It's a bit distracting. It might work if it were lower and just on the second part of the verse for some variety. The overall mix feels pretty 'processed'. A bit distorted and could have a little more lows. But it kinda works. It sounds like a record. Nothing jumps out or songs bad except for some guitar lines that can feel a bit harsh. I think it sounds cool. Different, but cool.

The vocal effect is just a stereo delay. In general, my method with adding fx like delay, chorus, reverb, etc. is to bring it up just until I can hear it, then back off a hair. I may be desensitized to it at this point, tho Smile

Of course it's processed-- that's the point of mixing. Big Grin Not sure if that's supposed to be a positive note?

The distortion comment doesn't surprise me too much. Been playing around with some saturation techniques. I probably went too far.

Thanks for the feedback.

One thing I notice now that I've listened to some other mixes, is that I kept the stereo field quite a bit narrower, especially in regard to the guitars. That was mostly intentional. It's kind of a knee-jerk reaction sometimes to see that there are multiple guitar tracks and just start panning. Personally, I felt that got a little distracting in this song. I'm mixing in headphones, so maybe a little more panning won't hurt once I hear it in the car or on some other speakers.
Mix 2

.mp3    PassSide_2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.87 MB)

Nice,
As RoyMatthews already pointed out... but referencing the second mix
I'm not sure bout the delay, it works on second part of the verse though.
Also there is some distortion still.
Nice mix!