Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Santa Fe - Fruition
Just a simple mix, going for balance and clarity... I chose to feature the B3 (me likey a lot!) most of the processing was on her vocal (might have something to do with her lip ring or something) anyway here it is!

Wow, just listened in my new cans (ATH-M50X) and find my mix very revolting! My apologies for any hearing damage you may incur...

.mp3    Santa Fe.mp3 --  (Download: 6.43 MB)

Tone is in the ear of the beholder....
Unusual treatment for the drums but it grew on me. I'd like to hear the guitars and organ fit better into it.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(19-03-2019, 06:59 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Unusual treatment for the drums but it grew on me. I'd like to hear the guitars and organ fit better into it.

Ya, used way too much tape saturation on the drum buss, kinda gives that analogue vibe tho... ahhhh GUITARS! OK, I'm a B3 fan, but I supposed I should have shared the bandwidth ( to be fair) but I'm a bit selfish that way Confused

Thanks for the listen!

As Mixinthecloud mentioned... Interesting aproach.
Since you mostly worked on the vocals I want to address them first.
The compression sounds "pumpy", sometimes it a good thing.
I'm not sure if you wore aiming for that effect, but it sounds like you use the fastest attack and the slowest release setting, fastest attack can fine but imho here maybe its better to ease off a bit, especially since she usually starts the frases kinda low it feels like the transients should be brought out and not the other way around. Also I like the release to be really fast(usualy), I find this configuration works really well for me atleast(song dependant of course).

Overall sounds not bad... the drums are an interesting approach. Mix is clear enough... a good way to check problems like clearness and phasing is to check the mix in mono(works wonders)

Nice Job!
I'm kinda missing the dynamics in this mix. I kinda like the vocal tone when it's quiet but when she pushes it flattens out and constrains the vocal. It'd be nice it it popped out more and more out front. I'm not sure how I feel about the drums and bass. There's something indistinct about them and feel in a different space than the guitars and organ. It's not bad but could use some tweaks.
(22-03-2019, 08:47 PM)letifer85 Wrote: As Mixinthecloud mentioned... Interesting aproach.
Since you mostly worked on the vocals I want to address them first.
The compression sounds "pumpy", sometimes it a good thing.
I'm not sure if you wore aiming for that effect, but it sounds like you use the fastest attack and the slowest release setting, fastest attack can fine but imho here maybe its better to ease off a bit, especially since she usually starts the frases kinda low it feels like the transients should be brought out and not the other way around. Also I like the release to be really fast(usualy), I find this configuration works really well for me atleast(song dependant of course).

Overall sounds not bad... the drums are an interesting approach. Mix is clear enough... a good way to check problems like clearness and phasing is to check the mix in mono(works wonders)

Nice Job!

Yes it is a bit "pumpy" I used the default compression in the Mixbus 32, tho I do own most of the waves plugs and Brainworx I hardly ever use any of them... Just like the analog sound of the Harrison DAW for the 80's vibe. I'm still learning all it's features. Only the Vocal has a vocal rider, cla2a, followed by another vocal rider. No "mastering" just the default limiter on the 32C. Guess the lack of effort sticks out.. Sad

Cheers!