Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesper Buhl Trio - What Is The Thing Called Love - Mix By T.Hellsten
My humble contribution to Mix this wonderful Jazz piece .
This is a new remix to get the Kick drum and bass, and the rest to I hope better
Take a listening and tell me if I'm on right track, My first time mixing Jazz

It is mixed in Logic pro X
Using standard plugs and SPL Transient Designer on the Master

.mp3    Jesper Buhl Trio - What Is The Thing Called Love - Mix By T.Hellsten.mp3 --  (Download: 8.67 MB)

Mixing in Logic Pro X, normaly only use Logic plug's and Waves L316 on Master track
For my personal taste its too boomy, roomy and sound a bit compressed too.
I think the room you choose makes the music a bit distant, and my ears tell me some o the boominess come from room, did you locut verb ? The verb on bass is somthin that can sound wonderful sometimes, but I think you overdid it, and on drums as the drum solo play now.
I think you went a little overboard helping the drum and bassolo, it doesnt sound natural.
I would backoff a lot o verb and also choose a shorter one.
The pannin is another subject, this recordin is really hard to make a stereo drum sound on, in my approach I went for th classic trio jazz thing, 3 players panned one middle 2 a bit to each side. That way the listener dont get confused when suddenly the piano mics pick up a lot o one cymbal and the drum kit is all over the stereo field.

When this is said I can somehow understand your approach, as jazz is often played in cellars with concrete walls and can sound somthin like this if not many people are in the club.
I´ll suggest fillin the imaginary space with some audience, to soften the verb tone or maybe choose some wooden walls Big Grin

And remember: if you like your mix this is just my opinions, written for you to use or not. Your choice.

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(01-10-2013, 07:30 PM)Voelund Wrote: For my personal taste its too boomy, roomy and sound a bit compressed too.
I think the room you choose makes the music a bit distant, and my ears tell me some o the boominess come from room, did you locut verb ? The verb on bass is somthin that can sound wonderful sometimes, but I think you overdid it, and on drums as the drum solo play now.
I think you went a little overboard helping the drum and bassolo, it doesnt sound natural.
I would backoff a lot o verb and also choose a shorter one.
The pannin is another subject, this recordin is really hard to make a stereo drum sound on, in my approach I went for th classic trio jazz thing, 3 players panned one middle 2 a bit to each side. That way the listener dont get confused when suddenly the piano mics pick up a lot o one cymbal and the drum kit is all over the stereo field.

When this is said I can somehow understand your approach, as jazz is often played in cellars with concrete walls and can sound somthin like this if not many people are in the club.
I´ll suggest fillin the imaginary space with some audience, to soften the verb tone or maybe choose some wooden walls Big Grin

And remember: if you like your mix this is just my opinions, written for you to use or not. Your choice.

Well I grown up on a Jazz club with my father playing, the sound I try to captor is the atmosphere in the club, Not a studio, and my memory of that sound never go out of my body.
The thing is I don't use any reverb on the drum, no compressor ether, I only work with the EQ, I have very little reverb on the piano, the drum was a nightmare to mix, in the original track you don't even hear the kick,
But as you say a matter of taste, This is mixed after my sound memory from 45 years ago sitting listening to my father. and the balance sounds grate in my Proac Sc1 speakers, the bass solo should be a bit louder than the rest, what I remember. SO Thanks for your listening,
PS I try every thing you say ...and sorry it sounding Crap in my ears. But you maybe right I was there and listening when they practice so not so much people in the club, can have effect my sound memory :-)
Mixing in Logic Pro X, normaly only use Logic plug's and Waves L316 on Master track
Great answer. Thank you. Havin written half the reply The thought came to me that it could be just what were the goal in this mix. In that case my friend you not only told a catchin story you also made a very beautiful sonic picture of your memory from past days.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(02-10-2013, 08:05 AM)Voelund Wrote: Great answer. Thank you. Havin written half the reply The thought came to me that it could be just what were the goal in this mix. In that case my friend you not only told a catchin story you also made a very beautiful sonic picture of your memory from past days.

Thanks!;-) My ears is old to, but still work for OLD music haha
I remember those day like yesterday, WONDERFUL time in my life!
and my love for Jazz.... well I must blame my father I think ;-)

So if you listening with my ears, it's not to bad then!? :-)
Exactly, I mentioned a cellar with concrete walls and had a picture in my head of an empty jazz club. Spot on. I just had a diffrent approach to mixin this and didnt understand why you made it sound that way. Now I do !
I believe you have achieved the atmosphere you were going for but I have to agree that the ride cymbal so obviously jumping from left to right was a bit distracting to me, too. You have peaked my interest in attempting to mix this one Smile
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
(02-10-2013, 04:10 PM)bmullen Wrote: I believe you have achieved the atmosphere you were going for but I have to agree that the ride cymbal so obviously jumping from left to right was a bit distracting to me, too. You have peaked my interest in attempting to mix this one Smile

:-) Good luck the thing is I do anything with the cymbals you have 2 or 3 in a drum set and the overhead stereo mic is on ONE Stereo TRACK
so as I say good luck !
(02-10-2013, 04:17 PM)Toveco Wrote:
(02-10-2013, 04:10 PM)bmullen Wrote: I believe you have achieved the atmosphere you were going for but I have to agree that the ride cymbal so obviously jumping from left to right was a bit distracting to me, too. You have peaked my interest in attempting to mix this one Smile

:-) Good luck the thing is I do anything with the cymbals you have 2 or 3 in a drum set and the overhead stereo mic is on ONE Stereo TRACK
so as I say good luck !

Now that I have the track I see what your saying. He must have been using two rides on opposite sides of the set.
To mix or not to mix ... mix!