Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chad Hollister Band Eyes
Here is my mix and enjoy.

.mp3    Chad Hollister Band Eyes Mix 1.mp3 --  (Download: 10.49 MB)

.mp3    Chad Hollister Band Eyes Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.53 MB)

Reaper user
Sounds good. The kick might be a little loud and I think the vocal could be more up front. The mandolins get lost. I've found that it's usually getting masked by some other instrument in a lot of mixes. It feels better from the solo on. There seems to be a bit of hiss or noise that becomes apparent at different times. Are you using any Waves plug-ins by any chance?

Minor points. Overall though it's pretty solid.
(13-03-2019, 06:08 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Sounds good. The kick might be a little loud and I think the vocal could be more up front. The mandolins get lost. I've found that it's usually getting masked by some other instrument in a lot of mixes. It feels better from the solo on. There seems to be a bit of hiss or noise that becomes apparent at different times. Are you using any Waves plug-ins by any chance?

Minor points. Overall though it's pretty solid.
Hi Roy the hiss is coming from soundtoys sie q in the "mastering" and was done deliberately i thought it gave it abit of a roar analog sound, and yeah those mandolins! i wasnt sure where to place themBig Grin thanks for your comments.
Reaper user
Fair enough. the noise isn't that big of a deal except that it 'breathes' bit which I think made it more noticeable. And it seems a bit loud at the end fade.
The mandolins are tough on this one. I could never make them work. I know I considered just hard panning them and the congas but chickened out and dropped that idea.
Ok you have convinced me LOL i will do another master and correct the hiss noise,well reduce it at least and i might even tackle those mandolins with automation,thanks again man.
Reaper user
Mix 2 based on Roys comments yesterday.
Reaper user
Hi cudjoe! Nice take on it, different sound for sure. I kinda like the idea with the "phaesyness" but I think its a bit 2 much, it sounds like an effect on the master buss? The highs feel very "un-natural" and lo-fi. Also I would like more of the acoustic guitar because I felt that It was driving the song quite much. The bass sounds killer and also good vs the kick. The mandolin solo is ok but could be a bit more aggressive some how. Good job on the mix its nice Smile, upfront is cool.
(19-03-2019, 03:07 PM)crownoise Wrote: Hi cudjoe! Nice take on it, different sound for sure. I kinda like the idea with the "phaesyness" but I think its a bit 2 much, it sounds like an effect on the master buss? The highs feel very "un-natural" and lo-fi. Also I would like more of the acoustic guitar because I felt that It was driving the song quite much. The bass sounds killer and also good vs the kick. The mandolin solo is ok but could be a bit more aggressive some how. Good job on the mix its nice Smile, upfront is cool.
Hi Crownoise i agree with you about the "phaseyness and the highs it was a new technique i was trying out but overdid itBig Grin,thanks for that.
Reaper user
Hey Cudjoe......Listened to mix 2

ha...oh man, those drums during the verses.....I'm goose necking big time Cool

Really like this mix.

Great drums and bass really set a solid foundation and i think that you've done a good job building a fine balance on top. Great vocal tone too.

Good job

Cheers

Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
Glad you like it HbG thanks for the nice comments.
Reaper user