Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Santa Fe - HB Mix
Another fun Telefunken session. Great band, great performance and song

.mp3    Santa Fe_HB Mix 1.0.mp3 --  (Download: 8.02 MB)

Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
Hey man sounds good to me, vocal sits great, which is something i had a problem with only thing for me in my cans is the kick drum is too kinda in your face as well as the toms
It sounds good. I feel like it could use more bass guitar or just a bigger bass guitar to anchor down the song more and it might tame the kick a bit. Overall it feels a bit light and airy. That's all I notice though. The rest of the band feels great. Good work.
Something is odd about the bass and the kick. Is the bass over-driven? And the kick has a lot of flap. Or is it that everything has 'drive' in it. It may be over-done. Are you experimenting with a new mastering plugin? It doesn't seem to mix well.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(13-03-2019, 08:42 AM)Spandexcore Wrote: Hey man sounds good to me, vocal sits great, which is something i had a problem with only thing for me in my cans is the kick drum is too kinda in your face as well as the toms
Hey Spandexcore, thanks for listening.

yeah the kick is kinda strong. i think the slow tempo and relatively sparse, intimate arrangement makes it possible although its certainly not every ones cup of tea.

cheers
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

(13-03-2019, 01:07 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: It sounds good. I feel like it could use more bass guitar or just a bigger bass guitar to anchor down the song more and it might tame the kick a bit. Overall it feels a bit light and airy. That's all I notice though. The rest of the band feels great. Good work.

Hey Roy. thanks for listening mate.

Agree....the kick is pretty big..... It wasn't necessarily my intention but when i heard it in the car i thought "that sounds pretty cool." Cool ....so i left it. Not sure i'd do it the same way again though if i started over Smile

A bit more bass and and a bit less kick would probably be a good move if there was ever going to be a v2.

cheers

(21-03-2019, 12:51 AM)HbGuitar Wrote:
(13-03-2019, 01:07 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: It sounds good. I feel like it could use more bass guitar or just a bigger bass guitar to anchor down the song more and it might tame the kick a bit. Overall it feels a bit light and airy. That's all I notice though. The rest of the band feels great. Good work.

Hey Roy. thanks for listening mate.

Agree....the kick is pretty big. it wasn't necessarily my intention but when i heard it in the car i thought "that sounds pretty cool." Cool ....so i left it. Not sure i'd do it the same way again though if i started over Smile

cheers

"that sounds pretty cool." is pretty much the only criteria one needs. Actually probably in mixing it's more like "that sounds pretty cool, but dammit it's too much" and being able to cut it even though it sounds awesome.

(14-03-2019, 08:50 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Something is odd about the bass and the kick. Is the bass over-driven? And the kick has a lot of flap. Or is it that everything has 'drive' in it. It may be over-done. Are you experimenting with a new mastering plugin? It doesn't seem to mix well.

Hey MITC, thanks for listening.

The bass signal is clean. i think its probably the kick, which has a bit of an 808 vibe ....not sure why i went in that direction but i could back off compression/eq for sure...

the flapping on the kick is actually sympathetic snare rattle bleeding through from the snare close mic as the kick beater hits...an expander/gate will probably fix that....never heard that before

no new mastering plug-in....pretty clean chain

(21-03-2019, 01:02 AM)RoyMatthews Wrote: ........probably in mixing it's more like "that sounds pretty cool, but dammit it's too much" and being able to cut it even though it sounds awesome.

for sure Big Grin

Hey,
Nice mix...
Man that kick is massive, sounds amazing but I'm not sure it's the best choice given the song vibe.
It does sound that the bass has heavy distortion at some places and completely clean at others(weird).
Imho the vocal is kinda sharp especially at the part with the single guitar(thats really subjective though so take it with a gain of salt)

Overall the mix is good, great Job!