Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
Sante Fe
Just leaving my mix here Smile

Not usually the biggest fan of mixing live recordings but these Telefunken ones have been pretty fun. Nice recording.

Cheers!

Update: Mixed 2 - Tweaked the vocals according to feedback from the boys

.mp3    Sante Fe Mixed.mp3 --  (Download: 8.16 MB)

.mp3    Sante Fe Mixed 2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.16 MB)

I gotta say, i love the overall sound of this mix; very relaxed and warm sounding. I'm especially impressed by the sound of the rhythm section. Drums and bass sit nicely and you have developed some lovely tones on the guitars. Instrumentally, perhaps the organ is a bit bright (and very occasionally spiky) but then again it sits tonally as a counterpoint to the warm guitars so just an observation really.

Where i think there is a potential issue is with the vocal. First of all, the level seems too low, especially noticeable in the very first phrase of the first verse. A vocal ride would probably fix this as at times the level seems better suited. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, the tone seems at odds with the otherwise lovely warm mix. It sounds at times squished, at other times a bit harsh and at other times a bit nasally. The phrase "crystal clear" is a good example of the harsh, squished tone that i can hear. There also seems to be some resonant low end bloat from time to time.

if you can treat the vocal with the same love and warmth as you have done with the instruments i think you'll have a fantastic mix.

cheers
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
It sounds really good to me. I'll agree that the vocals seem a little low. Everything else seems upfront and in your face, but in a good way, and the vocals feel a little "shy". I can't say I notice any tonal issues. I feel like there might be some overall pumping compression but I might just be convincing myself that I hear that and it might just be the dynamics off the instruments.

Good job.
Thanks for listening lads, I've heard what you said about the vocal and I agree. I've upped the level, tweaked the EQ and used different compression, but there's something about the mic sound I just don't get on with. I think this version is a bit better suited to the track though.

.mp3    Sante Fe Mixed 2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.16 MB)

I didn't A/B it with the first version but this vocal feels like it has more "emotion". I don't know if that was like that before but the bass seems a bit distorted, on purpose, but that might take some of the power away from it. There's plenty going on it the mids and upper mids with the other instrument so the bass could have the low end to itself.
I like the way the kick and bass work together yet the rest of the kit seems a bit too distant and deep in verb.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Great mix,

I can see everyone likes the kick/base, I do like the sound as well, but I'm not sure it suites the song(please don't kill me, thats just my opinion).
Other than that it's a great mix.