Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dunning Kruger's Japan Song
Hello everybody,
This is my second mix. I need criticism, please give any you can. For anyone wondering, I mix with a pair of gaming headphones (HyperX Cloud Flight's) and a pair of monitors (not near field per se, also meant for general listening) (they are the klipsch r-15pm's). I used a variety of plugins, the one constant type being a multi-band compressor to hit harsher parts of instruments and the lead vocal. With the cellos, I used a four-band compressor with two extra (so six) to cut smaller parts out or bring the similar smaller parts in more to give a different sound. Also, for the master, I used a multi-band compressor to slightly soften the lows from the bass guitar and the kick drum along with a very, VERY slight removal of some highs to maintain brightness (but not to the point your ears bleed). Finally, I used a limiter to keep the mix at a certain ceiling, with a tape plugin for some warmth (in their respective orders). As mentioned earlier, this is my second mix and I NEED critique from anyone willing to give.
Thanks and keep on Mixing!

.mp3    Dunning Kruger - Japan Song.mp3 --  (Download: 9.05 MB)

It's not bad. There are some minor guitar levels that's I'd tweak. The main guitar feels a bit loud and the answer guitar feels quiet in relation. The vocals are on top of the track, especially in the bridge.

The vocal is pretty dry, which works for this tune but might work better in a more dynamic, open mix.

I think the biggest issue is the overall compression. The drums feel constrained. Especially the snare. The mix has no where to go in the chorus and outro section. I really wanted those parts to "bloom" more and have the mix open up. Panning some parts more would also help create more dynamics.

Overall it's very listenable. Tonally it's balanced pretty well, it's warm and can be turned up loud without being fatiguing or annoying which is good for a song like this.