Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnny Lokke: 'Promises & Lies' - Olli H
My first metal mix, but not the last. This was fun to do!

Great voice and guitar.

I tried to do a scandinavian heavy sound to this. That is to say: I listened as reference Children of Bodom and Yngwie Malmsteen.

I was little uncertain what should be the suitable listening level for checking the balances when mixing this genre. If I listened with my typical mixing levels, I was willing to put the vocal level little higher, but when I turned up the volume so that also neighbours could hear it, I felt that vocals could be little lower.

EDIT:
New version at post #6

.mp3    johnny-lokke-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 10.64 MB)

Great sounding mix Olli !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thanks!
Nice job Olli and welcome! Thanks for the nice words too.

Vocals are so hard, especially mine as I tend to move way to much when I'm singing (I forget I'm not on stage I guess ) so usually some automation is needed to make different sections sit right. For this song I was using an SM-7, and moving even a few inches one way or another can have huge complications come mixing time.

Your mix sounds pretty close to me though. Something that may help the vocals here is to wetten them up as they sound pretty dry which makes them not blend as well as they could. The great producer Andy Sneap once told me one essential in power metal vocals is a great hall reverb and I agree completely. If you can get the vocal sitting better in the mix you can then raise the level without it sounding too out front.

Anyway, good luck with your mixing and thanks for sharing.

Keep it loud!
Johnny Lokke,
www.johnnylokkeband.com
Very good mix,great guitar sounds ,drums spot on and for me them vox are perfect i think more verb
on them vox would be to much myself its not needed,
Then end is too sharp tho it sounds odd
I added some dirty hall to vocals but diminished other verb, saturated the top end of vocals to tame the hi-end, more focus to the solo guitar, some bonus dirt to bass and cymbals.

I'll learn this genre someday, as I already begin to have own opinions. Smile I'm already waiting for the next Johnny Lokke song to mix.

Thanks for good suggestions Johnny and takka360

.mp3    2013-10-01-johnny-lokke-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 10.19 MB)

Listnin version 1. I like it ! Very good balance and agree with Alan, the drums are right where they should be.
The last "promises" vocals are a bit sharp, maybe you fixed that in version 2.

Version 2 is bit more thin soundin, and not as impresive as version 1. The tone and balance of version 1 are really good ! I find myself reachin out to to turn version 2 down a bit, as it hurts my ears, version 1 I can listen loud no problem.

If you have version 1 saved it would be worth takin vocal treatment from version 2 and change only that.
My opinion of course, really love version 1, biiig sound. Congrats !

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Cudo to the singer, thats a darn high note ! Great clean convincing falsetto !!!
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(01-10-2013, 07:14 PM)Voelund Wrote: Cudo to the singer, thats a darn high note ! Great clean convincing falsetto !!!
I only wish it was falsetto...my throat would feel much better after a show! Wink

(01-10-2013, 07:11 PM)Voelund Wrote: If you have version 1 saved it would be worth takin vocal treatment from version 2 and change only that.
My opinion of course, really love version 1, biiig sound. Congrats !

I completely agree with this. I think vocals from number 2 with music from number 1 and you are there.

For a first metal mix you hit it out of the park my friend!

Keep it loud!
Johnny Lokke,
www.johnnylokkeband.com
(01-10-2013, 07:35 AM)Olli H Wrote: I'm already waiting for the next Johnny Lokke song to mix.

This could be easily arranged if others are interested in another one as well. Probably can't post it here, but I suppose folks could upload to soundcloud and post links to them on my FB page. I'll try and get something together if people are interested. \m/

Keep it loud!
Johnny Lokke,
www.johnnylokkeband.com