Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updated - Movin to Sante Fe with Fruition - Mix 5
5th Mix....

- Sounds 10% better because of the name change alone =)
- Agree with AndyGallas regarding vocals and organ
- The right guitar still sounds too hot in spots for my taste....especially in the solo
- The solo loses too much energy at the end.....feels like it whimpers away.
- I like your mix better than mine. Good job.

Cheers
(27-03-2019, 02:16 PM)Rook Wrote: 5th Mix....

- The right guitar still sounds too hot in spots for my taste....especially in the solo

Cheers

The solos do fade although 'whimpering away' may be a little harsh...
As for the lead vocal, I'll have to make my stand. I've had some say they are too dry and some say they are two wet. I found what I think is a happy medium. I also think there is a lot of intimacy in the vocals without them being way out front.

Thanks for the listen and the comments.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Guitar on the right is really fat and loud compared to the rest
keys are coming from outer space Smile
i suggest you to clean up the lead vocals from background drums noise so you get a better kick ..
(27-03-2019, 04:13 PM)sagi Wrote: Guitar on the right is really fat and loud compared to the rest .. i suggest you to clean up the lead vocals from background drums noise so you get a better kick ..
do you mix on earbuds?

No ear buds here. RoR 606s, Dell Desktop speakers with a sub and AKG K44 headphones.

clean up the lead vocals from background drums noise so you get a better kick ? Not sure I understand that. My drums are very natural to the room and the recording. I love my kick.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I withdraw "whimpers away" and replace with "fades too much" Big Grin

(27-03-2019, 03:31 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:

Cheers

As for the lead vocal, I'll have to make my stand. I've had some say they are too dry and some say they are two wet. I found what I think is a happy medium. I also think there is a lot of intimacy in the vocals without them being way out front.

(27-03-2019, 04:58 PM)Rook Wrote:
(27-03-2019, 03:31 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:

Cheers

I withdraw "whimpers away" and replace with "fades too much" Big Grin

Fair enough! Big Grin
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]

Mix 5
Re-balance and re-automate the guitars. Enhanced the environment.

As always comments, inquiries and banter is appreciated.

mITc.
[/quote]

great mix! but since you seem to be going for perfection i'll go into nitpicking mode Wink:
the large reverb somehow gives a nice clarity/openess to the mix but is for me to obvious when she sings fe. 'if i can't have you here' (first lines), basically whenever there's a lot of space left by the instruments.
the bass feels a little ditached. i would open it up a little, make the connection with the guitars and organ.
round 2'20" and further you here the guitarscratching in the vocalmic when she's not singing. i would cut that out.
great kick! nice vocal! nice overall sound! peace
(29-03-2019, 11:15 AM)loupi Wrote: Mix 5
Re-balance and re-automate the guitars. Enhanced the environment.

As always comments, inquiries and banter is appreciated.

mITc.

great mix! but since you seem to be going for perfection i'll go into nitpicking mode Wink:
the large reverb somehow gives a nice clarity/openess to the mix but is for me to obvious when she sings fe. 'if i can't have you here' (first lines), basically whenever there's a lot of space left by the instruments.
the bass feels a little ditached. i would open it up a little, make the connection with the guitars and organ.
round 2'20" and further you here the guitarscratching in the vocalmic when she's not singing. i would cut that out.
great kick! nice vocal! nice overall sound! peace
[/quote]

That is certainly nitpicking but all valid. The guitar in the vocal mic during the bridge makes you wonder where it comes from. However, since this is a live performance it seems not to be a real issue. It is an artifact of the clarity and compression of the vocal. I may consider a fix. Thank you.

I do often wonder if I missed the rule that stated reverb was not to be heard, only sensed.

The bass is tied to the kick not the guitars and certainly not the organ. My snare is connected to the chop guitar on the left.

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate your time and ears.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]