Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devils words - gloukin mix
Feels like I’m almost there with this one, your feedback is greatly appreciated. Once again, I’m mixing without monitors...

Thank you.

.mp3    devils words.mp3 --  (Download: 7.49 MB)

.mp3    Devils Words v2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.49 MB)

Updated the mix slightly, let me know which one is better.
Here's my listen through - taking notes as I go

The drums have a nice space on them - good stereo image, nice depth! It'd be good to brighten up that snare a little bit - it's a bit darker than the guitars, so it doesn't cut very well. Craking a shelf @ 6-8k can really help add that sizzle / crack to a snare. Also, cutting a bit around ~500Hz can open it up a little bit. Try a compressor with a slow attack after the EQ to increase the 'smack' a little bit (~3dB GR - just enough to add a bit of snap)

It'd be cool if there was a little more sizzle on the overheads too. The guitars kind of dominate vs the cymbals a little bit.

The vocal could use a little bit of a shelf too - a cool trick is to de-eess the vocal, then crank it up with a shelf @ 8k - really pops. Then, you grab a wide bell @3.5k and pull it up a until it starts to have some energy. Then they really pop - don't be afraid to compress that vocal! (Try a kinda-slow attack, really fast release ~8dB GR)- makes it spit and BAM in your face. Another cool trick to really make those vocals sound epic is to add a 150ms delay (100% wet, no feedback) to the onset of the reverb. It makes a lot of room for the vocal and makes it sound super deep.

Those background vocals could use a similar treatment to the lead vocal.

The 2nd verse Guitars are pretty upfront - right on level with the vocals (maybe slightly forward). Play with the dimension on those - I like to kind of 'feel' where they are in 3D space, and they feel like they're right next to/in front of the vocalist

Really exaggurate the ambience on the bridge - use that pre-delay reverb trick, try some doublers/chorus to get that stuff WIDE and spacey. Don't let anything get infront of the vocal.

If you get everything rocking, the transition from the ambient part back to the chorus will kick ass

Okay, there it is!
(06-03-2019, 06:55 AM)gerudobombshell Wrote: Here's my listen through - taking notes as I go

The drums have a nice space on them - good stereo image, nice depth! It'd be good to brighten up that snare a little bit - it's a bit darker than the guitars, so it doesn't cut very well. Craking a shelf @ 6-8k can really help add that sizzle / crack to a snare. Also, cutting a bit around ~500Hz can open it up a little bit. Try a compressor with a slow attack after the EQ to increase the 'smack' a little bit (~3dB GR - just enough to add a bit of snap)

It'd be cool if there was a little more sizzle on the overheads too. The guitars kind of dominate vs the cymbals a little bit.

The vocal could use a little bit of a shelf too - a cool trick is to de-eess the vocal, then crank it up with a shelf @ 8k - really pops. Then, you grab a wide bell @3.5k and pull it up a until it starts to have some energy. Then they really pop - don't be afraid to compress that vocal! (Try a kinda-slow attack, really fast release ~8dB GR)- makes it spit and BAM in your face. Another cool trick to really make those vocals sound epic is to add a 150ms delay (100% wet, no feedback) to the onset of the reverb. It makes a lot of room for the vocal and makes it sound super deep.

Those background vocals could use a similar treatment to the lead vocal.

The 2nd verse Guitars are pretty upfront - right on level with the vocals (maybe slightly forward). Play with the dimension on those - I like to kind of 'feel' where they are in 3D space, and they feel like they're right next to/in front of the vocalist

Really exaggurate the ambience on the bridge - use that pre-delay reverb trick, try some doublers/chorus to get that stuff WIDE and spacey. Don't let anything get infront of the vocal.

If you get everything rocking, the transition from the ambient part back to the chorus will kick ass

Okay, there it is!

Thanks for the detailed feedback, really appreciate it!