Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St Vitus: 'Word Gets Around' - Olli H
Interesting practice. I'm not so familiar with electronic sounds and sample.

After quick rough mix I concentrated on the vocal and guitar sound. After that I tried to figure out what kind of electronic noises worked together with "real" sounds.

I had no references for this one. After my own version was ready, I listened more carefully Mike's and Voelund's good mixes, just to check if I had missed some relevant points.

.mp3    stvitus-word-gets-around-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 9.09 MB)

Nice job Olli !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

I like your mix ! You tamed the bas synth and still its audible, the biig loop 2 is a good diffrence maker :-)

Small observations: In verse and chorus 1-2 the guitar could maybe be a little less compressed. In the middle piece the last lines are very low and nearly disappear, if I didnt know the lyrics I wouldnt know what he sang.
Also middle piece would be worth experimentin with a sonic change, telephone eq on voice or loop, strange verb on somthin. Just a sonic change to make it even more interestin. I think Mike added a cool delay to verse in iddle section.

Lovely delay on loop, thx for the listen. Great to hear a your version Big Grin

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Hi!

Everything is ok except vocal, which is too dry and 2D!

Hope this helps! Big Grin

Google translate! Blush

Thanks for good comments.

Vocal was clearly too low on that soft part. Guitar didin't have so much of compression from compressors, but maybe you heard the tape saturation (which also compresses signal). I lessened also that.

So far I didn't add any vocal effects. I do like many kinds of tricks in others' mixes, but for some reasons I don't want to use them so often in my mixes. But I'm in the process of destroying all the conservative habbits and opinions within me. So maybe after ten mixes you'll be hearing them too much from me...

Thanks.
(30-09-2013, 03:56 PM)Olli H Wrote: But I'm in the process of destroying all the conservative habbits and opinions within me. So maybe after ten mixes you'll be hearing them too much from me...

That's the spirit! Big Grin