Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wolf's Head & Vixen Morris Band: 'Lament'
I wanted to mix something different and I found it here!

I've tried to keep the sound natural because I guess that's the way it's supposed to sound.

I couldn't stand the beginning of the song with that Hurdy Gurdy buzzing for 20 endless seconds, so I added the sound of a horse galloping that will help the beginning not to be that boring; and also, I think it fits the mood of this 'medieval' melody.

So I hope you like it!

.mp3    Wolf\'s Head & Vixen Morris Band - Lament.mp3 --  (Download: 6.36 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Nice sounding mix like the intro and how you have given it a live sound Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

yes, the musicians playing by the turf with horses passing nearby! thanks! :-)
mixing since April 2013
Nice bright and yet full sound Juan. Good creative idea with the horses.Did you play with the timin of the trascks ? I gave up on it as I couldnt make that work ...
Listenin your mix I cam to think of a trick I read about in Stan Lavrous book Mixing with your mind: Find the instrument playing most steady rhythm, turn it up medium, then turn up the instruments rushing louder than they would normally be, and the instruments playin behind the one you choose for standard should be lower in level than they would normally be. And somehow timin will be better.
Thx for the listen !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Thank you, Niels! I tried to fix the timing but, just like you, I gave it up. I also tried to follow Mike's advice about how to do it with reaper, but that was a couple of years ago and most things have changed by now. Since I couldn't follow well the instructions and the song had started to play faster, I decided to leave it as it was... I only changed a couple of drum hits that were too obvious for me, and placed them better to follow the rhythm.

I have to think about what you told me and mainly, try it out. It seems kind of strange but sometimes things like that work fine and you have no idea why!
mixing since April 2013
A nice sounding mix, and I like the brightness with this instrumentation. The horses were a fun idea, though I thought they were a bit forward (sounded like they ran right up to my nose Smile ) I had many annoyances with the rhythm also, it's pretty frustrating to be on this end of it with such rhythm problems. I think the only think I'd like to hear more of is the drones of the Hurdy Gurdy. Nice job!
thank you! unfortunately I don't keep the mix project of this song, so I can't change it unless I want to start from the beginning. But anyway, I'm glad you liked it :-)
mixing since April 2013
Very good... I feel like I should be plundering the high seas when I listen to this mix! The flutes need a little help with the intonation and there's a string buzzing a little too loudly in a few spots, but it sounds like I'm right there listening to them play!
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Thank you! I'm glad you liked the mix :-)
mixing since April 2013