Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Actions-Devil's Words Mix
My take on this cool song. All kinds of feedback is much appreciated!

.mp3    Actions Devils Words Mix 1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.52 MB)

Update, maybe the voice is too loud on this one lol. Feel free to comment n stuff

.mp3    Actions Devils Words Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.48 MB)

Hello!

This mix was a nightmare for me, I never even uploaded mine in the end lol.

First of all, I like the vocal edits before the final chorus. Nice creative addition.

I don't know if what you're hearing is her voice being too loud. I had the same issue when I mixed it. When she's not belting, she has this "interesting" yodelly quality to her voice and she's always slightly sharp, and I found this so hard to control and make sit well over a pretty full on rock track. Hopefully some whizkid comes and gives you advice on this because I'd like to know.

Overall I think your balance is good. I feel like EQ-wise, it is a little too focused in the mids though. There could be more power in the bass and slightly less telephoneyness (good word) in the guitars.

I think I used Paramore's "Turn it Off as a reference for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrhfuHQTbdI

Again though, this is pretty subjective. The sound you have is cool and maybe you like it more.
(16-02-2019, 11:21 PM)Pasta Wrote: Hello!

This mix was a nightmare for me, I never even uploaded mine in the end lol.

First of all, I like the vocal edits before the final chorus. Nice creative addition.

I don't know if what you're hearing is her voice being too loud. I had the same issue when I mixed it. When she's not belting, she has this "interesting" yodelly quality to her voice and she's always slightly sharp, and I found this so hard to control and make sit well over a pretty full on rock track. Hopefully some whizkid comes and gives you advice on this because I'd like to know.

Overall I think your balance is good. I feel like EQ-wise, it is a little too focused in the mids though. There could be more power in the bass and slightly less telephoneyness (good word) in the guitars.

I think I used Paramore's "Turn it Off as a reference for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrhfuHQTbdI

Again though, this is pretty subjective. The sound you have is cool and maybe you like it more.

Hi man!

Thanks for your input, really appreciate it. Your description of her voice is on point. i keep struggling with voices overall on all my practice mixes so i need to work on that. you may be right about the EQ being too focused on the mids. idk if its the headphones i'm mixing with or if i'm biased with metal bands that have that kind of signature tone but ill work on it a bit more to add that extra bass-less mid quality and post it later on. Thanks a lot for pointing it out.

Also, let me know if you end up posting your version, I'd like to hear it.

Cheers
I mixed it a while ago and what I have sounds like I did a really horrible last minute mastering job on it. Not likely I'll upload it haha.

I'm also a big fan of those aggressive midrangey guitar tones in metal. I tried quite a few of the heavier mixes on here, trying to improve my metal mixing, and I found I often lean towards that type of sound also.
Update Mix 3

.mp3    Actions Devils Words Mix 3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.47 MB)

(18-02-2019, 03:37 PM)lu_mfm Wrote: Update Mix 3

Personally I much prefer this version, feels great. Nice mix man!
(18-02-2019, 03:58 PM)Pasta Wrote:
(18-02-2019, 03:37 PM)lu_mfm Wrote: Update Mix 3

Personally I much prefer this version, feels great. Nice mix man!

yeah i do like the "fuller" guitar tone better. Thanks again!