Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Siren 1st post
Hello there,

This is my first post on this wonderful site and forum.

This is my mix of this lush song, it is the first none metal track I have attempted and my 4th overall mix ever (I'm a noob). This must have been expertly recorded as the files just slotted in perfectly and, although I was enjoying the music, wondered what actually needed doing, my inexperience perhaps? I basically tried a few things for the first time I have read about, such as parallel compression and edited a few things here and there. I also adapted some of the thing I learned mixing metal tracks at home but also resisted the temptation to re-amp the guitars through Amplitube Metal LOL. I tried to make it sound like I would want this wonderful song to sound like however, I may in future do a mix without the synths, as fantastic as they are! I am most proud of leaving the reverb off one track of the whispered vocals, so that it is though she is whispering in your ear! I also tried to do a spot of mastering too and I think I have learned a lot doing mixing this. Thanks for the chance to do this, I enjoyed it.

.mp3    Georgia wonder - Siren (done and Mastered).mp3 --  (Download: 16.54 MB)

Glad you're enjoying the learning process -- I still am, certainly! Smile On to some comments...

You've got a rather abrasive build-up around 4kHz, and another around 9-10kHz, which combine to make this rather a tiring listen. I wonder whether your monitoring might be the cause of this overall tonal bias, so maybe check that out by referencing this mix against some others -- or indeed the preview mix provided with this multitrack, which is smoother in this respect at least.

I like the edge you've managed to your kick drum, which really helps drive the mix along, and the bass also has really good small-speaker cut-through, although maybe I'd give it a bit more real low-octave welly too, even if that means adding a subsynth in there surreptitiously after the fact.

In terms of balance, I like a lot of your basic decisions, although the chorus vocals really suffer in the mono presentation, so whatever widening scheme you're using on them needs to be re-examined in my view.
I love the driving bass...

however as Mike said I would carefully chisel out some 4-5kHz abrasiveness overall ... and to my ears the pads need to fill in a little more behind the drums, as for my taste the drums a tad too forward sounding.

But I love the overall feel to your mix... as we say in Malta - Prosit!

Best regards,

Clinton
Thank you to Mike and to Clinton for taking the time to listen, I really appreciate it.

Thank you Mike for the contructive and possitive feedback, I was very suprised! I have bought the T-Racks Deluxe (on a budget and on a PPC Mac so I am limited to what I can buy and use) so I am going to put this across the mix and get rid of some of the those frequencies. I'm glad you noticed the presence of the the kick, I tend to take longer trying to get the kick and snare sounding right than the rest of the mix! I think, coming from metal, that bottom end is the main thing and maybe why the drums are so "in ya face".

Interesting opinions on the drums Clinton, I wanted a Daft Punk pumping type feel which is why the drums are rarther dry and forward in the mix, and well, as I just mention, I like loud drums... probably because I am an 80's kid!. I have since found out about side chain compression so I might give this ago to achieve that daft punk feel.

Also just have to say that this is one of my favourite songs of the year!!