Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Semantics - Forkupines (Home Studio Mix)
Hey, hope you enjoy my spin/mix of the song. Any comments or constructive criticism, feel free to drop a comment below. Hope someone likes it. Smile

.mp3    Semantics - Forkupines.mp3 --  (Download: 6.24 MB)

Realised there wasn't much bottom end in original mix because my aim was to blend it. For those who like it more bass heavy, check out this one (Semantics - Forkupines revised)

.mp3    Semantics - Forkupines (Revised).mp3 --  (Download: 6.24 MB)

Hi Neonacity,

Sounds good Big Grin

Did this one yesterday and it's a challenge! Your mix sounds good! Commenting below and being super picky, hopefully helpful Smile

I think that it's lacking a bit of excitement, there's a lot of evolution in the song between the different parts of the song and I think their idea here (the band) (at least how I hear it) is always having a constant build-up, there's a lot of guitar tracks and vocals tracks to play with to achieve this. What I usually do is start with the heaviest part and say ok this is my heaviest spot or orgasm spot. Then things need to be taken away on the verse so that the chorus is really popping, using automation is a good idea, playing with panning as well (e.g. having a guitar on the left then bang on left right or pushing the left guitar to the right with panned reverb) or simply riding the volume.

Second is that this is a punk band, not reinventing the wheel so there needs to be an evolution between the parts so that it's not always the same parts over and over again.

I know from a musician perspective sometimes we had discussions about how to make a chorus pop and 90% of the time the solution was in the build up (less instruments, no kick drums etc.) take a band like Korn for instance (just taking massively obvious examples).

Another thing I hear (I think) is that the instruments are overlapping a bit frequency-wise, usually for this kinds of bands (pop punk) the mix is very bright, there is not any massive low end, the kick has a snappy sound, the bass is glued to the guitar. So it's tough but it would be interesting to bus all your guitars and see how much low end you can take away so that you have room for the drums and bass, see what you can take out from the drums to make room for the guitar and bass, also maybe get the guitars (a tiny bit) brighter to reach the sweet distortion spot (I screwed it up myself ahah wanted the guitars to be harsh but they were ear piercing)?

Overall it could "explode" more, especially the drums / snare. There's a fair amount of hi hat bleed on the snare though so difficult to do, might be why the bottom head is heard more in the mix, a solution might be using a sample or duplicating the snare track to get where you want. Probably needs some EQ / compression / limiter.

All the above being said, the mix sounds pretty good! Really cool modification from your first mix to the revised one Big Grin

Quentin
Thank you for your help, I didn't quite know what the band was trying to achieve, I agree the guitars need to be a bit brighter. I'm still tuning my monitors and to me the highs are really harsh so I might tone the tweeter back a titch on the monitors and see if I get better results when I mix.