Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mix by Zbat
Hey,

Oh yeah I did not do any cleaning on the vocals, sometimes I spend time on checking breathing, noises, pops etc. going to be honest I just dismissed this part completely ahah but thanks, well spotted!

Yeah spot on, I think I was trying to get some nastiness out of the 2-5Khz zone, that's where the guitars start to break etc. I compared it with NOFX and other similar bands but that's a great advice I do that often and end up having to push the vocals very bright. Yeah Raw Power is one of my favorite albums ahah

The bass is a bit extreme indeed ahah but the whole 90s - 2000s "pop punk" or even metal era, you'd have the bass literally playing the same line as the guitar like one massive guitar.

Cool yeah that was my take on the snare, I don't feel like it's always the more explosive the better. I like the Foo Fighters comparison it's a good one.

Before anything I'm a music fan (very rock (in a very wide way) oriented but not limited to any genre) and we need to bear in mind people listening to the music won't give a shit about frequencies or compression, they'll just say WOW the guitar jumped at me or that made me want to jump. It's the same experience with bands playing live thinking the audience will notice you're using a fuzz factory instead of a big muff for a guitarist, a 18 crash instead of an 18 for a drummer etc. they won't. They'll notice the energy, craziness, the hooks and the spontaneous events. Btw lots of people talk badly about And Justice For All's production I think it's incredible you play the album, you get that weird intro with reversed guitars then the first snare hit kicks you in the nuts, even though it's far from a typical metal snare, at least that's how I experienced it the first time. There's something about that guitar tone with the drums that is nasty. And nastiness sticks, you remember it, there's something too aggressive, a bit on the edge. Now put that against another album from the same era, it will stick out. You feel there's something grabbing you, you get that from Cream's Politician to more recent metal bands like Sepultura's Arise to Gojira's The Link, there's something edgy about it, almost scary (that's for the "metal" genre).

Yeah hooks and build ups are extremely important, I'm used to helping musicians with song writing in general and this is the most neglected but important part in modern rock.

I'm a bit mental when I start either playing, recording or mixing, I'll stop eating, sleeping or whatever, I won't break the flow. In this instance my girlfriend saved me ahah, she is not technical but has a great ear so she'll be like "dude wtf is up with the snare" or "more drums" or "too compressed" and then I'll notice the obvious that I could not see because I was in the flow, I get the same with adding reverb for instance, I end up with a mix that is super distant but I've stopped noticing the reverb ahah. In this instance she listened and was like "you need a break and carry on tomorrow".

Yeah 90s 2000s I'd say this is the music I grew up loving actually, I don't think I notice it but it's been a major influence, especially bands like Stone Temple Pilots, Alice In Chains etc. it's not intentional but I guess I can't help but wanting to sound like this ahah

This is awesome stuff, I'm just reading a ton about everything regarding mixing at the moment but was lacking the back and forth interaction factor and advises so thanks a lot this is cool!

Quentin

Messages In This Thread
Mix by Zbat - by Zbat - 06-02-2019, 05:51 AM
RE: Mix by Zbat - by Zbat - 06-02-2019, 12:32 PM
RE: Mix by Zbat - by Pasta - 08-02-2019, 11:06 AM
RE: Mix by Zbat - by Zbat - 08-02-2019, 01:45 PM
RE: Mix by Zbat - by Pasta - 08-02-2019, 02:18 PM
RE: Mix by Zbat - by Zbat - 09-02-2019, 06:03 AM