Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
Dream No. 12 mix - lovely track!
Really like this one. I tried to keep it simple, aiming for a warm lush sound, but with the lead vocal quite up-front and intimate. I felt all the sound effects really added to the dream-like quality of the track, so made them reasonably prominent.

I did find it quite hard to get the lead vocal and the bass to sit right, so interested to know how well they work.

Be great to know what you think - always looking to improve.

Cheers,
Laurie

.mp3    Dream No. 12 - Laurie Harrison Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 7.59 MB)

Laurie!

I really like your mix. It's great to hear what other people do with my song.
I love the reverb that you used on the 'dream number twelve's, may I ask what you used for that?
I like how you panned them left and right....ear candy!
I remember that the uke had some resonating frequencies that I had to carve out on my mix, I can hear them in this mix but honestly, that's due to my room when recording. I've treated my room ever since.
Anyways, very well balanced and warm and cozy. I love it!
You're talented, Laurie!

Thank you,
Ricardo Santiago

RICKY LEGEND
 spotify | instagram | soundcloud
(02-02-2019, 10:10 PM)laurieharrison Wrote: Really like this one. I tried to keep it simple, aiming for a warm lush sound, but with the lead vocal quite up-front and intimate. I felt all the sound effects really added to the dream-like quality of the track, so made them reasonably prominent.

I did find it quite hard to get the lead vocal and the bass to sit right, so interested to know how well they work.

Cheers,
Laurie
Where is the kick drum? i can't hear itHuh
Mr. Loud
Hey Laurie,

I like your mix a lot, from the time the bass comes in. Before that the softer part seems to squished for me. I feel the Ukuleles are overcompressed slightly.
I also feel the bass is too loud, probably masking the kick drum. I do however think, that you managed the vocal nicely, better than me I have to admit.

Next one is up to taste, but I would like to hear a bit more differentiation in the stereo spectrum. This sounds pretty LCR mixed to me.

Cheers,
LukasAngel
(04-02-2019, 03:36 AM)ricsanram Wrote: Laurie!

I really like your mix. It's great to hear what other people do with my song.
I love the reverb that you used on the 'dream number twelve's, may I ask what you used for that?
I like how you panned them left and right....ear candy!
I remember that the uke had some resonating frequencies that I had to carve out on my mix, I can hear them in this mix but honestly, that's due to my room when recording. I've treated my room ever since.
Anyways, very well balanced and warm and cozy. I love it!
You're talented, Laurie!

Thank you,
Ricardo Santiago

Hey Ricardo - thanks for the comment, that's great to hear! Yeah, as pointed out elsewhere, I think the uke sound in my mix could still do with some work (my room is pretty bad-sounding, too...).
The main reverb I used was Waves Abbey Road Plates - that's on all the vocals, although the lead vocal is pretty dry. I also used a bit of ping pong delay on the 'dream number twelves', which I think makes a big difference, especially with the hard panning.
(04-02-2019, 04:35 PM)LukasL Wrote: Hey Laurie,

I like your mix a lot, from the time the bass comes in. Before that the softer part seems to squished for me. I feel the Ukuleles are overcompressed slightly.
I also feel the bass is too loud, probably masking the kick drum. I do however think, that you managed the vocal nicely, better than me I have to admit.

Next one is up to taste, but I would like to hear a bit more differentiation in the stereo spectrum. This sounds pretty LCR mixed to me.

Cheers,
LukasAngel

Thanks for commenting, Lukas. Yes, I think you're right about the uke - needed more time to get it working right when it's exposed at the start and end.
I was OK with masking the bass drum TBH, but you're probably right!
And yeah, it's pretty much LCR, which is generally my preference.
(04-02-2019, 11:07 AM)The Wizzards Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 10:10 PM)laurieharrison Wrote: Really like this one. I tried to keep it simple, aiming for a warm lush sound, but with the lead vocal quite up-front and intimate. I felt all the sound effects really added to the dream-like quality of the track, so made them reasonably prominent.

Cheers,
Laurie
Where is the kick drum? i can't hear itHuh

I didn't really want to hear it! For me, what it brings to the track is supporting the bass, since I think of this as a 'no drums' track (my mix would sound very different with the kick muted, though). I did like the kick on your mix, so I guess it could go either way and still work!
You're welcome!
If you make an updated mix I'd love to hear it. Because of my room I now exclusively mix on headphones and it's working out great so far.
Interesting last time I tried Abbey Roads' plates my computer could barely handle it, so I use Little Plate by Soundtoys. A VERY GOOD plugin, you should check it out.
Yeah, delay definitely helps the hard panning to not sound as harsh while still maintaining the width.
RICKY LEGEND
 spotify | instagram | soundcloud
this is wonderfully creative. intimate vocal is the way to go with this song. well done!