Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Place For Us - Linguine Mix
So I had a sound in my head that I wanted to go for, sort of Phil Collins in 2019, but it ended up somewhere else very quickly haha. Plus I don't have any expensive sounding reverbs, so I couldn't go as crazy as I wanted on the drums.

One thing I would like advice on after trying this one is, how do you thicken a single vocal, or make it pop without sounding too loud, when the song around it is still pretty dense? I always find myself in a spot where I feel like the vocal is either too much or too little, but never exactly what I want to hear.

Other than that, comments and suggestions please!

Cheers!

.mp3    A Place For Us First Whack.mp3 --  (Download: 8.93 MB)

(29-01-2019, 09:11 AM)Pasta Wrote: So I had a sound in my head that I wanted to go for, sort of Phil Collins in 2019, but it ended up somewhere else very quickly haha. Plus I don't have any expensive sounding reverbs, so I couldn't go as crazy as I wanted on the drums.

One thing I would like advice on after trying this one is, how do you thicken a single vocal, or make it pop without sounding too loud, when the song around it is still pretty dense? I always find myself in a spot where I feel like the vocal is either too much or too little, but never exactly what I want to hear.

Other than that, comments and suggestions please!

Cheers!

Very beautiful mix man i dig it a lot. Congrats.
Hey, thanks for your feedback and very nice mix too! In my headphones the kick is a bit too big and it forces me to turn down the volume, but it is hard to judge the low end in headphones, so I can't give you any real advice on that. Other than that, the only thing I would have done differently are the backing vocals: a bit louder, and maybe a bit more reverb.
About the main vocals: the way I do them when the track is very dense is kind of Chris Lord Alge style (you can watch any of his videos where he shows): low cut below 100Hz, , 6-9 dB boost around 3k, high-shelf at 8-10k, then compress it very hard with the 1176 compressor. It almost always work Smile