Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Siren Monked
Mixed with Marmite on toast and a nice cup of tea.

I should have gone the Ableton route, it would have opened more opportunities for creative flow as well as bring me to a faster, more meaningful conclusion. But I didn't. Still had some fun kicking it around though.

The acoustic gtr clashes rhythmically with some elements, so I chose to keep it out of the way most of the time. Loved the lyrics.

.m4a    Siren MOnk-s20b.m4a --  (Download: 17.93 MB)

"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
Im not really sure why you have messed around with this so much as you have killed the groove of the track,its all sort of bits and pieces and the vox are pretty lost big time,the bv i cant hardly hear at all.You have stripped the song of its melody and groove .Its as if you have just messed about with it for the sake of it.Its not improved it its probably just destroyed the vision they had for it
lol, I thought I might risk invoking your wrath by giving you feedback Tongue

(02-09-2019, 05:04 PM)takka360 Wrote: Im not really sure why you have messed around with this so much as you have killed the grove of the track

It's a vision and basically a remix. The intro alone told you that much Big Grin

It’s often the case that where we’ve heard something one way, when it’s altered the change doesn’t fall easy on the mind, especially if the individual is resistant to change or lacks impartiality.

The transitions and leads into the vamp didn't happen in the arrangement, so there's a lack of energy and dynamic where there needs to be in a traditional sense. The verses are pushy in a nice way, but they leave us with nowhere to go in relative terms during the chorus (i.e. it’s not in the arrangement), other than risk "more of the same", like in your mix vision.

So, to create some contrast I chose to take a gentle, softer approach which is a contra method. The vamp rather than vamping, backs off. Yes, it’s risky because we are so used to choruses pushing but we could also say the artist took a risk by not meeting expectations - verses down, choruses up. Whatever we do, it's constrained because of the issues inherent in the arrangement. So I played and explored. No child should ever be reprimanded for exploring and experiencing, so why chastise the adult? We are in a world of the Art form…..but where are you?

The arrangement for me lost focus 4 minutes in, at the point where the song really needed to end. There's certainly no groove here for the remainder of the song, so ranting about killing groove when the artist did this for nearly 50 percent of audience time seems a little mis-directed!

Quote:its all sort of bits and pieces and the vox are pretty lost big time,the bv i cant hardly hear at all.You have stripped the song of its melody and groove .Its as if you have just messed about with it for the sake of it.Its not improved it its probably just destroyed the vision they had for it

Well, if everything is loud the way you mix, nothing is loud.

There are contrasts here, especially in depth and amplitude in the micro and macro dimensions, which fit my vision. I don't suffer hearing impairment, so I don't have issues with depth and vocal comprehension during subdued moments in the mix, or where there's intentional depth associated with distance. For me it adds interest, but I can understand not everyone will see, or hear it for that matter, in the same way.

But hey, thanks for listening.

You should try thanking people too, and respect their time, even if you don’t necessarily like what they might have to say about your baby.
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
I think your in a world of your own
I still love the lyrics...
New vision, mixed in Nuendo 11 with std plugs.
Shame about the crippling artifacts in the multi. Being already mixed goes against the Constitution...

For those with a weak and fragile vulnerability, I strongly recommend not listening to it.  You have been warned Wink

.m4a    Siren mONKed in 2021.m4a --  (Download: 15.6 MB)