Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my mixdown
is it too loud, kick too loud, vox too loud... not enough dynamics... does the snare sound good, is the ride too loud etc...

Thanks in advance for letting me know

.mp3    mixdown 2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.99 MB)

better worse???

.mp3    mixdown 3.mp3 --  (Download: 11.99 MB)

Howdy John!

I haven't mixed this track myself, but as a listener the first thing I feel I want to hear out of the rhythm guitars here is a little more clarity and less fizz. At first it sounds like they're too quiet, but I think it's just because there's a lot of top end so you had to keep them low. First try maybe a shelf on the high frequencies to bring them down, or if that sounds too destructive, just find the most offensive frequencies and notch them out. Then you can bring the guitars up a bit to feel more connected with the drums. Also, when the mono guitar comes in, it is just a bit too loud.

The drums are in a pretty good spot but a little less midrange and a bit more top end on the shells would help them sit better and sound more "hi-fi". The overheads are a little too loud for me on version 2.

Vocals are good. I prefer the dryer sound you have in the second version. Maybe a bit more top end on the vocals too to bring more clarity, I don't think they need to be louder.

Hope this helps!

Also, since the singer kind of sounds like Keenan, maybe use this as a reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xV93TlPv1M
When that song kicks in, the energy is kind of on the same level as this track, even though musically, it's totally different.
i don't know if i like the ducked delay vox

.mp3    mixdown # lol.mp3 --  (Download: 11.99 MB)

(28-01-2019, 01:24 PM)Pasta Wrote: Howdy John!

I haven't mixed this track myself, but as a listener the first thing I feel I want to hear out of the rhythm guitars here is a little more clarity and less fizz. At first it sounds like they're too quiet, but I think it's just because there's a lot of top end so you had to keep them low. First try maybe a shelf on the high frequencies to bring them down, or if that sounds too destructive, just find the most offensive frequencies and notch them out. Then you can bring the guitars up a bit to feel more connected with the drums. Also, when the mono guitar comes in, it is just a bit too loud.

The drums are in a pretty good spot but a little less midrange and a bit more top end on the shells would help them sit better and sound more "hi-fi". The overheads are a little too loud for me on version 2.

Vocals are good. I prefer the dryer sound you have in the second version. Maybe a bit more top end on the vocals too to bring more clarity, I don't think they need to be louder.

Hope this helps!

Also, since the singer kind of sounds like Keenan, maybe use this as a reference:
When that song kicks in, the energy is kind of on the same level as this track, even though musically, it's totally different.

thanks... ill give it a go when i get off work .. i needed some other ears

(28-01-2019, 01:27 PM)JohnHenderson Wrote:
(28-01-2019, 01:24 PM)Pasta Wrote: Howdy John!

Hope this helps!

thanks... ill give it a go when i get off work .. i needed some other ears

.mp3    mixdown best yet.mp3 --  (Download: 11.99 MB)

Just wasted an hour trying to mix this song as a test for my new SSL plugins.

Gave up it was just such an annoying song - sounds like every metal bands first song in rehearsal when they are 15.

Don't think there is much mileage in doing this one.

Lots of great songs on here maybe your time would be better spent on those - I think your methods would work better on those.