Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rescue Me - a tricky one!
Hi folks,
Here's my attempt at this one. Found it quite hard going - the guitar and mandolin didn't really balance, so I tried stereoing the guitar, which I think worked quite well - but see what you think. Vocal was hard to get right, given the unevenness of the performance and the amount of bleed. I didn't feel there was much flow to the performance (drums much too ploddy for my taste), so kind of hard to bring it some movement.

Having finished this, I'm now wondering if I should try more a 'minimal intervention' approach... Anyway, all critiques welcomed!

Cheers.

.mp3    Rescue Me Mix - Laurie Harrison Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 9.76 MB)

The intro is pretty impressive. I like whatever you did to that bass, it has a lot of character. Once the tune progresses, some shortcomings appear, thou.

Vocal is loud (maybe it has too much presence too, but there's no way to know if it'd cut too much thru the mix because it's already so prominent because of its loudness). I find that you might be listening to a track pretty loud and you think it sounds great but then a too loud vocal comes in and it's like you weren't playing it so loud at all (I'll try not to say "loud" again for the rest of the post).

That clipping distortion for the guitar sounds great for the more muted playing. When the playing gets more open sounding, it's a little too fuzzy. Hence, first half of the solo could use some more definition (oddly, the clipping fits perfectly those last country licks before the tune ends). That weird second half sounds great. BV's are very well balanced and sit behind the guitar (the final chorus "ooohs" could take a little push), though they sound a little weird as if there was some effect on them?

Great drums sound, too. With some automation on the guitar distortion and a second look at the vocal levels, it's a dammned good mix!
(31-01-2019, 05:31 PM)Deliza Wrote: The intro is pretty impressive. I like whatever you did to that bass, it has a lot of character. Once the tune progresses, some shortcomings appear, thou.

Vocal is loud (maybe it has too much presence too, but there's no way to know if it'd cut too much thru the mix because it's already so prominent because of its loudness). I find that you might be listening to a track pretty loud and you think it sounds great but then a too loud vocal comes in and it's like you weren't playing it so loud at all (I'll try not to say "loud" again for the rest of the post).

That clipping distortion for the guitar sounds great for the more muted playing. When the playing gets more open sounding, it's a little too fuzzy. Hence, first half of the solo could use some more definition (oddly, the clipping fits perfectly those last country licks before the tune ends). That weird second half sounds great. BV's are very well balanced and sit behind the guitar (the final chorus "ooohs" could take a little push), though they sound a little weird as if there was some effect on them?

Great drums sound, too. With some automation on the guitar distortion and a second look at the vocal levels, it's a dammned good mix!

Thanks Deliza!

Yes, now you point out the vocal level, it's really obvious - weird how that happens...

I think I could have spent a bit more time on the guitar - I like the fuzzy sound, but want it to still have some definition. There's probably too much stereo delay on the first half of the solo, which makes it sound a bit blurry.
The BVs do have a stereo effect on them to try and widen them a bit - maybe overcooked a bit?
I don't know what it is with this track but I have the same problem of ever increasing volume like the engineer was constantly turning the volume up and down. Makes it impossible to get a consistent level especially due to the level of bleed on the vocals and drums. Just end up chasing your tall.
I like your comment about minimal intervention. It may be appropo for this song. It's a matter of least common denominator and for me that was the guitar. With its embedded effects there is just not much you can do with it without making it even more difficult to marry with the rest of the ensemble.

I do like the distortion on the solo. That works. I also like how you presented her vocal. Clean and clear with just about right amount of reverb on it.

This is one of your better mixes and in a tough spot this is very good.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I like the treatment of the vocal. Very Nice mix.

This isn't a put down. So many people just automatically pan the toms fairly hard. I did it for years and years. I figured out that very slight panning is less of a distraction and sounds meatier. Within 15 percent on each side. A light went of for me on this in the last couple months. Just wanted to pass it along. It doesn't work for everything. Just something to think about and try. - BP
This is absolutely a nice mix.

I do however think that her vocal is a hair too forward and perhaps a bit too 5k -ish.

In general I am not a great fan of adding FX on guitars, because the guitarist has the sound he - or she - has, and I reckon that there's a reason for that. Nevertheless, your alterations works, the only thing that comes to my mind is that guitar solo might be just a tad too loud.

Overall, very nice work. Keep it up
I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow