Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
The Dice - gloukin mix
Woah, what a band, what a song and what a recording!

Great pleasure to work on this track.

My mix is different to the reference, a bit less raw, I think.

Would be great to have your thoughts.

Thanks

.mp3    The Dice.mp3 --  (Download: 13.89 MB)

.mp3    The Dice V2.mp3 --  (Download: 13.89 MB)

V2 uploaded with some slight changes, let me know which one is better. Thank you
Like what you did with the Lead vocals - Did you edit to smooth out? Also like the snare. Replacement or as is and which reverb? Nice reverb/deley on vocals on middle section. Toward the end are you getting a Table Tennis POP POP noise from a trigger or is it just my ears. listened again there is a Pop,pop,pop,pop going on in the last 10/15 seconds in the drums (click track sound type of sound I was assuming you knew what Table Tennis was/is).

Greetings!

Nicely balanced mix! I haven't listened to the reference but this sounds pretty raw to me. Really cool.

I think the "Table Tennis" noise RG is describing is the snare reverb reacting to the sound of the stick on the rimshots. It's more obvious at the end because of the breaks in the guitar. It's not overly offensive in my opinion, but if you want to change it you could try EQing some of the high mids out of the reverb itself.

Are the flangey modulation sounds on the guitar printed on the recording? If not and you added it, I think it's a really cool effect but it causes the guitar to poke out a bit when it hits certain frequencies. Sounds almost like microphonic feedback. You could try compressing that section to tame it or notch out those frequencies. Again, not really that offensive but I noticed it.

The vocal sits above the band nicely, really clear and articulate. Could try a more effected sound to flavour it a bit but I like the sound you've gone for. Authentic.

I like. Good stuff Glukin.
First of all thank you for listening and commenting, appreciate it.

On the topic of POP noise, it think its the reverb and Pasta says but I also here some clicks throughout, not sure where they came from.
Drums are all real, no replacements. I am using Abbey Road Chambers for the drum bus and Snare got an additional plate reverb as well.
Vocals have a bit of automation written to better control loud/quiet parts.

The modulation on guitars was printed like this, will see what I can do to make it sound better.

Overall, I think it needs another revision.