Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Niko's Mix : Kung Fu - Joy Ride
Hey! Took a listen to this track on the main page and just had to download and tinker with the stems Smile

Here's my first print. Tried to keep things pretty simple as the overall tracks sounded really great from the get go.

I normally have my kick below the bass but since this is a really funky track it seemed more appropriate to let the bass shine and have the kick take a bit more of a midrangey roll. I also really loved the keys and the sax so I did my best to really make them in your face but not step on each others toes. The band did a really fantastic job recording this song. Can't believe it's 7 mins. Doesn't seem that long Big Grin

added a slightly altered version Mix1b

.mp3    KungFu_JoyRide_Mix2_Niko_Slusarczyk_ChernobogStudio.mp3 --  (Download: 16.09 MB)

.mp3    KungFu_JoyRide_Mix1_Niko_Slusarczyk_ChernobogStudio.mp3 --  (Download: 16.09 MB)

.mp3    KungFu_JoyRide_Mix1b_Niko_Slusarczyk_ChernobogStudio.mp3 --  (Download: 16.09 MB)

Niko
----------------------------
Latest project : Noise Implant
Hi Niko
Sounds like you had some fun with this one.
I like the 2nd mix with the wider panning, very cool. It has to me a very live feel, I think because of the reverb choices. Nice balance .. the only thing I question is the drums sounding distant with the heavy verb.
Other than that, super job!!
Cheers
KirkSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Thanks a lot, Kirk! I think you're right about the drums. I'll have to fiddle with them some more Big Grin
Niko
Exciting AF! Wink the cymbals makes it so as well as the precise midrange balance.
I have to agree with Kirk about that shells drum sound though.... very distant and somewhat undefined... this drummer got some nuances in his playing but it doesn't come through,,.
Vocals are a little too loud as well for my taste but overall it's a really enjoyable, solid mix. great job!
Thanks for the feedback! Added Mix 2 with some updated drums Smile
Niko
nice job! i liked the drum bang in the first versions, and the not-so-much-reverb of later versions. maybe try somehow combine these? ^_^
(21-01-2019, 03:17 PM)kapu Wrote: nice job! i liked the drum bang in the first versions, and the not-so-much-reverb of later versions. maybe try somehow combine these? ^_^
Thanks, Kapu!
Niko
Hi Niko

Drums sound like they are sitting a lot better to me, more forward now.
Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Thanks, Kirk! Glad to hear it's an improvement Smile
Niko