Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duty and Memories
Project is gone so no fixes. Still, Would like to hear your opinions!

.mp3    Duty and Memories.mp3 --  (Download: 12.59 MB)

Hey asd625555,

lots to like about your mix
- Great drums
- Nice guitar tone
- Overall, mix has a pleasing frequency spectrum; neither harsh nor muddy. Nice Cool
- Nice male vox - he's a great singer so always a pleasure to mix. maybe a dB or two boost would help command the song but equally, where it is currently isn't atypical for the genre

Things that you could work on (if you had the filesBig Grin)
- guitars seem very static level wise - some (more) automation for different sections could help drive song dynamics e.g. mid section level vs verse or chorus
- female vox seems a bit loud vs male in harmony sections and honestly, a bit boring in general - some cool fx could work wonders
- the master level of your mix is -8LUFS, so is officially squashed. Loudness wars are largely over, especially for streaming services

Good job
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
Thank you for the reply and for expressing your opinions HbGuitar.

Yes the female vocals are a little bit louder, that's probably because I liked them more than the male vocals, so I focused more on them..
I also didn't try to put effects on the vocals except that I made some parts in stereo, but I just focused on mixing the sounds together. Didn't focus on vocal effects and echoes, delays, etc that much.

About your comment on the loudness level: I had never mixed Rock or Metal before this so it was my first time. I mostly listen to Hip Hop music so I tried to make the drums loud like it's Hip Hop. And plus the distorted guitars which are really loud and I know they are important in this type of music , I also had to make them loud too and that's why you have -8 LUFS.
Loud drums + distorted guitars, and loud vocals = Very loud song, definitely my loudest mix, not proud of it at all Big Grin

But I just focus on making it as loud as possible but with little compression and no distortion. It depends on the music also, if it was classical music -8 is definitely Squashed, but if you mix Dubstep? I'd say -8 LUFS is pretty normal in that genere.