Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#29 Rescue Me - IAMAHACK Mix
Nice little rola. It looks like late night mixing ain't my forte. Two big ill advised tonal choices I only noticed next morning:

- Guitar is FrankZapping the singer in a really bad way. As most guitar players, I got singer envy, so subconsciously I took advantage of a half hearted performance. I saw no way vocal riding could fix so much dynamics with so much bleed, so I really didn't try. I just wish these Telefunken sessions came with overdubbed vocals more often.
- Bass is fat and feels sorta detached of the rest of the band. I got carried away with a new amp plugin (I'm all excuses today) and first print was even worse. I tried to minimize the damage with some EQ over the "mastered" mix so this is more like a "rescrew-I-mean-remaster".

Anyway, I got a doubt. How do you guys and dolls cope with OH's stereo? I'm still pretty new to mixing real drums and I find hard to deal with how wide most OH's tracks are, like most of the times neither kick or snare are near the mid in the stereo image. But then most of the time you just want them to be pretty much mono, so what's the drill? Are the isolated mics to provide the meat of the sound for those parts or just round up a little? Sometimes they are pretty loud in the OH's (ironically, I think it happens the more the better the drummer is), so if I want to keep some cymbals in the mix I have to use a lot of OH's and very little close mics and that makes that wide image a real PITA for me.

Any tips about this would be so welcome.

.mp3    29 - Amy Helm & The Handsome Strangers - Rescue me (Deliza).mp3 --  (Download: 8.95 MB)

Hi Deliza

The mix sounds good Deliza, maybe the vocals could be opened up a bit they sound a little muffled, but the rest sounds good on the headphones.

As far as the overheads there are a lot of different ways to handle it depending how it was recorded. phase alignment both overheads and close mics, Improper phase alignment can make the kit sound all over the place. Tone imbalance in the L/R of the overheads can cause imbalance. Correcting these will put your kick and snare centered and more in balance.
I think these 2 Issues should be addressed first before EQ and volume balance of the drum tracks, but there is so much to it. Listening to my mix now I can see that I needed to check phase alignment. EQ each drum track better and I think the overhead tones are heavier on the R channel and needed to be matched.

I like to hear the ride and crash in my mix, but sometimes if the overheads were poorly recorded, you can only do so much.

This is just a start , as Im just learning all this, your best bet is to see if Mike has a tutorial on the subject or on YouTube or maybe one of the other guys here can lend their expertise.

I hope this helped in some way.

Kirk

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Hello i see the video in wich this multitrack we're recorded
(Telefunken live from the lab) and Saw the position of the microphones to give me an a idea of the stereo image but i think that i applied less volumen than i think ...my mix is one above tours un the discusiĆ³n zone
It helps, K thanks. I mess around with some of the JS phase allignement plugins in Reaper before doing anything beyond a sketchy levels balance, so I know what's the stereo gonna be like with the drums as they are the less I have the less control, and then I will decide how to pan all the rest.

What amazes me the most is to think how did they manage in the old days, when mixes were made with a desk, a plate, some compressors, EQ and little else.
Haha sorry i forgot to tell you that the image stereo that i Saw on the video is the OH image
Sorry, I passed by your comment, Kuasibeat! Checking the video now. Guitar was an acoustic, how cool is that?
yeah thats amazing !