Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better
14-01-2019, 12:00 AM
Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better
This is my take on this great song.
All feedback is welcome!

.mp3   You Know Better_FINAL_20190113.mp3 --  (Download: 8.49 MB)

Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2019, 06:07 AM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2019 10:11 PM by loweche6.)
RE: Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better
Hey Skipper!

I love that you didn't kill the volume of the master. Leaves room for the master engineer!

All of your tones are pretty nice during the verse. The chorus seems to be a bit lacking in punch and presence from the drums. I took the approach of triggering the snare during those parts, getting the tone of the drums I wanted, which was a lot of work to get the tone I heard in the track.

I love the clarity you achieved, but think overall the track may be a bit too dry? A bit more verb/delay of the vox/guitars/piano may be in order to get some really cool ambience.

I think you are damned close to what I think you are trying to achieve (but I could be completely off the mark in regards of what you are trying to achieve) and addressing the few things mentioned, I think, could get it even closer.

I like your cuts and entrance with the bass!

Really nice work!

Draper
14-01-2019, 04:30 PM
Skipper,
I will echo the comments of Draper especially the level of the drums during the choruses. Other than that I enjoyed your mix a lot. I like your environment as I took a similar approach. Not bad at all.

PreSonus Studio One DAW
on RDS Server with Dante Via (ask for details)
[email protected]

16-01-2019, 06:47 PM
Thank you very much for your comments.
It's good to have some new fresh ears to tell you what could be improved as sometimes it's too easy to loose some of the perspective.

I'll wait for Mike's feedback too and[/i] then I'll work on it again.
16-01-2019, 07:02 PM
In addition to what was already mentioned I'll add that it feels a little "crowded". Maybe it's just a personal preference but I think things could be spread out more in the stereo spectrum and might clean things up. Right now the more staccato parts feel like they're fighting for attention.

As far as the chorus snare, one thing that helped me a little was separating the sidestick sections from the full on snare on the "snare up" track. That way you can set up different levels and tones for the two parts without worrying about automation.

I only have earbuds to listen and mix with at the moment. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Access my tutorial videos!
Advertisement: